R&R Timing Chains and Guides.. NAPA or eBay kit?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Menkhaus

Reaction score
So, my '02 4.0L ST Oil pump locked up and broke the oil pump drive shaft. OK, time to pull the engine.

Since I'm gonna have the engine out, I'm gonna do the timing Chains and guides, etc. (125K on engine, very clean inside, no guide chips...but wth, might as well do it since the engine's out).

Question: FORD wants ~ $1000 for the Chains and Guides,

NAPA wants $500 for their kit.

eBay has kits for $100-$200, AND some of them include the water pump and oil pump!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Timing-Chain-Kit-Water-Oil-Pump-Land-Rover-Ford-Explorer-Ranger-Mazda-4-0L-SOHC-/271298931731?fits=Make%3AFord%7CEngine+-+Liter_Display%3A4.0L&hash=item3f2aad2c13:g:NbAAAOSwstxVX2wo&vxp=mtr

Are these any good or should I stick with NAPA?

Anyone used one? Thanks! Doogie

Qaulity IDK. You will need the special alighnment tools. You might try a search in swap and sale. I think someone had a chain kit.Also another had the tools. This was awhile back, but you they may still have them.

How about advance auto parts? I have coupon codes for 50 off.

OR rock auto?

Todd Z

That ebay kit looks fine.

Bigger question... What else do you change while you have the engine out?

If you have to pull the pan to put the oil pump in, then maybe pull a main/rod cap and see what the bearing clearances look like?

Think things over and write up a list of what else you might want to r & r while the engine is out.

Balance the cost benefit ratio, considering the worst case that the trans may let go some time after you put the engine back in (or may not)

Big proponent of addressing all issues if "you're going in there"...

I think you'd be better off researching engine rebuilders (like Jasper). Just me, but engine rebuilds are way above my skill set. The work, equipment and space needed to get the engine out are huge considerations. Then there's the before-mentioned need for special timing tools. Is it possible to replace the oil pump without pulling the engine?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts