Radiator clarification please

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blert

1st Gen Owner
2 wheel drive
2001 job 2
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
My radiator is cracked and leaking. I don't tow anything and no serious off-roading so I'm going to stick with the single core to save a few bucks.
There is an option of a 1" or 2" top/bottom channel. Currently installed is a 1" (I just measured the top of the radiator). The one I was looking to buy has a beefier transmission fluid cooler but is a 2" channel. Will this drop in or will I have to trim the fan shroud?
Thanks.

Found this while searching the forums...
Only note is on the 01 there were 2 different depth fan shrouds. Worst case you cut the shroud or build a spacer. plastic is fine. But that's again on the 01. On my 03, I used the same all aluminum rad.... Loved it.
Guess I'm going with the 1" 'cuz I don't want to bother with trimming the shroud (or finding another one) unless the slightly beefier transmission cooler would be worth the bother?
The specs on the radiator say...
1" : 6 transmission cooler plates.
2" : 7 transmission cooler plates.

Last edited:
While spending the same labor+time,
I'd be likely to upsize+upgrade to an AllAluminum radiator with an extra row of passages,
for a few extra bucks to get the added cooling capacity.
But don't see any problem with your plan to stick with new identical stock parts.
Yep, if you change the Top+Bottom Channel widths, you will need a new\modified fan shroud.
Even though I kept a 2" channel going from old PlasticTanked to new AllAluminum radiator,
I still purchased a 2nd shroud & made an overlapping 2Piece Top+Bottom Shroud;
was tired of wrestling shroud around fan, now simply unbolt & lift out upper portion for clear access.

https://2001fordexplorersporttrac.fandom.com/Engine_Coolant_Radiator+Cap

Very nice work you did there..

Global warming aside, I don't think my use case warrants spending the extra for more cores. Never had a problem with overheating in the 15+ years I have owned this truck. I can see where it might come in handy for some though. But... more cores does not necessarily equate to better cooling. The law of diminishing returns is real and each additional core will be less effective than the last as warmer and warmer air is passed over them. More cores also means more air restriction, which may necessitate a more powerful fan, and more water flow restriction, which may require an upgraded water pump.

On a related note...
You seem to be way craftier than the typical Haynes manual. Is there a sneaky way to get to the heater core? Like through the glovebox/airbag area? Or does the whole dash really need to be gutted?

On a related note...
You seem to be way craftier than the typical Haynes manual. Is there a sneaky way to get to the heater core? Like through the glovebox/airbag area? Or does the whole dash really need to be gutted?
Fortunately have never had to replace heater core. Have just reversed the hoses a couple of times.

New radiator is here. Grabbed a new thermostat also 'cuz I think mine is stuck open, runs just above low on the temp gage, even in the middle of summer, and has for a while now. Grabbed an aluminum thermostat housing also because, why not. New hoses too.
Damn, all this work I have put in the truck these past few months, this thing in nearly brand new and is running great.

Latest posts