radiator petcock

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Fenwick

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
My 2002 2WD has a screw-like gizmo instead of a petcock to drain the radiator. Mine broke and a friend gave me one from a 2003 Rainger, Do you folks know if they are compatible? If so, what should I pay him for it?
Thanks for your knowledge, God bless Ed

Likely your 2002 ExST & that 2003 Ranger, have\had the same\simular Ford radiator,
so plastic petcock (shown in the pic slideshow below) will likely be compatible.
Price should be somewhere between what he thinks & what you think is fair. ;)
Due to age, I'd give your PlasticTanked Radiator a full inspection for cracks\leaks
& seriously consider replacing with an AllAlum Radiator.
2001.Ford.ExST_Engi.Cool_Radi.2Row_Ford.1L5z-8005-ja.GIF
2001.Ford.ExST_Engi.Cool_Radi.4Row_APFO.2173_1of4.GIF

Last edited:
Thanks DILLARDooo, I was hoping it will fit. As with everyone, money is tight but I have seen radiators from $79. to hundreds. I am not interested in putting a $79 radiator in my truck! but is double that price a worthy amount to spend?
God bless Ed

Each of us have unique needs & situations; only you can decide what is best for yours.

I thought at one time you could buy that pet cock for $15-20.

Thanks DILLARDooo, I was hoping it will fit. As with everyone, money is tight but I have seen radiators from $79. to hundreds. I am not interested in putting a $79 radiator in my truck! but is double that price a worthy amount to spend?
God bless Ed

picked one from the bottom price end of Premium listing at Rockauto, paid $99 and it seemed better made than the OEM one which had started leaking.. everything fit perfectly, simple install.
This is a plastic one, but given the OEM one lasted 16 years, I don't worry about it..
An aluminum one from Rockauto is $152 plus shipping, if plastic worries you that seems a good bet..

@Ed Fenwick
Replacing just the nylon drain plug or the complete radiator? Did the threads "break"?

OEM replacement drain plug less than $10 shipped. Google FOAZ-8115-A

Aloha sws , no the threads didn't break, just the nut part! I saw on youtube that the plug will accept an allen wrench, unscrewed easily. A bit messy though.

5/16" allen wrench. Find a short piece of scrap hose to put on the petcock nipple. Very easy to drain into a container and dispose of properly. Lost more than one furry friend due to antifreeze poisoning. Nasty stuff.

Using a short hose attached to the petcock nipple is a good idea. I drilled a 1/2” hole in the plastic shroud and routed the hose straight through it, leaving it in place. It does not drain very fast, but it is easier than removing the shroud (7 rusty screws on my 2001 Gen 1). But, if you open the petcock too much, it will allow coolant to leak past the threads, and find another way to the ground.

^ That's why remove the lower hose. Messy yes, but drains super fast and most of the sediment comes out with the coolant. Problem is you'll get some on you, and most of it ends up on the ground.
I always have a water hose ready to heavily dilute the toxic coolant on the ground.

Latest posts