Rancho RSX shocks

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieS'04

In Memoriam 1950-2022
Reaction score
I dont have my reciept from JCW for the shocks. So I cant proove Im the original buyer for the life warranty. The shocks are still very good working condition. So I just spent 1/2 of today making and installing new eye bushings for the rear shocks.

The factory poly bushings crumbled, top and bottom eyes. Never had that happen to poly bushings.

Replaced them with a tough durometer rubber. Not fun as we know the rear shocks arent easy.

The front RSX shock bushings are ok. Anyone else have this issue with the RSX shocks.

The Rancho folks said, they would send me to someone local for replacement shocks..They would be the new gen RS-5000 series. I needed to proove I bought the RSX shocks. I told them I was the only owner of my trac....But....

$$$ tight right now. I didnt have to buy anything. I save alot of extra parts. Just the modifying and the labor, now Im sore all over.:banghead:

Did you pay with a credit card? That record should be sufficient. If they are being nit-pickers about the "original" receipt, mention customer loyalty.

I wonder, if you returned them through JCW, whether JCW has any clout (meaning if they send return them they may not need anything more than to say they're defective).

Yardsale,

I bought them back in 2005. To send them to JCW I would be without a ride. Then JCW would have to realize the RS 5000 series is the replacment.

So far so good with my homemade bushings.

As I said, Rancho iswilling to find me a local replacement. They want to know Im the original buyer, to set it up. Maybe if I contact Rancho again and explain I cant find a 10yr old reciept.

Odd that the poly bushings on the front are OK. Another odd thing is my 4x2 trac came with 4x4 shocks on the front. So I bought the same back in 2005.

I found that the factory shocks were junk. Before I read it on here. I went with the RSX 'cause most members liked them.

Tenneco stoped making the monroe reflex (same as the RSX) for the front, last year. Not sure about the rear. Seems to be the consenous on here now to go with a mono-tube shock....

If what you want is new bushings, maybe you can get someone on the phone at Rancho and sweet talk them in to sending a set. Remember to mention how you like the product and are looking at Rancho for a replacement, when the time comes. It works sometimes. Failing that, a backup might be to ask if they'll send a set for $10.00 (or whatever seems fair).

This really is a customer relations opportunity for them.

Another thought - they're 10 years old ... How many miles? Might want to explore a new set.

Note: From the Rancho site, the RWD and 4WD front shocks are the same.

Yardsale,

A rancho tech rep was going to send me new bushings awhile back. When I first complained about them starting to deteriate. They never got here..

The shocks have age but about 35k miles. My trac was a 3rd vehicle up till a few years ago. Retired, sold the 'stang, then divorced. Now it is daily driver, but not much though.

When I had the shocks off. I hand tested them. They felt new, chrome shafts smooth no pits, no leakage of oil or nitrogen charge. With new homade bushings. They are working good on the trac, now. I think the factory bushings were a plasticised material and not true poly. The left over peices didnt seem like poly.

The bushings I made were new hellwig rubber end link bushings. Left over from a kit for a different car. I think the durometer of them will take the shock punishment. I had to center drill them. The OD was tight fit. I had to freeze them, then drive them in shock eye's..Sometimes I enjoy see'ing what I can repair.

That is why I have boxes' of left overs.

I recently used a bolt from the same end link kit. I installed a sling mount on a mossgerg 12gauge. I needed a longer bolt to re-install the wooden but-stock...LOL.

Jack of all trades and master of none.

Latest posts