Random indicator light on instrument cluster

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnPenny Peluso

V6 Engine
4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
Reaction score
Yesterday, 1st time ever, while driving down the road on our 2007 V6 , I get a high beam light indication, later a tire pressure warning indicator light, then maybe a door ajar indicator, and a brake indicator warning light. Some times one, other times two or three at a time. They will go out, and come on later.
Started within a few miles of leaving home. Once it starts, it only gets worse.
Powertrain runs normally.
I pull over, shut it off. It may not happen for 50 miles. It might happen in 10 minutes.
No pattern of stop and go, or freeway driving.
Inspected wiring harness visually. Cleaned battery terminals. With battery cables pulled, released the three ECM connectors and visually inspected. Reassembled. Monitored battery voltage.
This truck is pristine clean. Orginal owners. Every thing looks normal.
You tube video

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Yesterday, 1st time ever, while driving down the road on our 2007 V6 , I get a high beam light indication, later a tire pressure warning indicator light, then maybe a door ajar indicator, and a brake indicator warning light. Some times one, other times two or three at a time. They will go out, and come on later.
Started within a few miles of leaving home. Once it starts, it only gets worse.
Powertrain runs normally.
I pull over, shut it off. It may not happen for 50 miles. It might happen in 10 minutes.
No pattern of stop and go, or freeway driving.
Inspected wiring harness visually. Cleaned battery terminals. With battery cables pulled, released the three ECM connectors and visually inspected. Reassembled. Monitored battery voltage.
This truck is pristine clean. Orginal owners. Every thing looks normal.
You tube video

Thoughts?

Well, I didn't get any responses to my question, but I wanted to document what was the outcome.
As I mentioned earlier, I went through the wiring, and found nothing of concern.
So I cleaned the battery terminals, and checked the connectors on the ECM, and saw nothing of concern.
I reconnected everything, and I have not had an issue since.
Maybe removing battery power for a half hour reset one of the computers?

Good job.
Maybe some moisture got into one of the connectors. Use dielectric grease on the connectors to help keep the moisture out, the rubber seals don't last forever.
Might also want to give the grounding points a look. For some reason they love to ground to a painted panel.

Maybe some moisture got into one of the connectors. Use dielectric grease on the connectors to help keep the moisture out, the rubber seals don't last forever.
Might also want to give the grounding points a look. For some reason they love to ground to a painted panel.
Blert I agree. for some reason our Tracs act goofy, with low current issues.

Latest posts