Ranger Raptor

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blksn8k

Reaction score
Ford Performance released this video of a new Ranger model for the South African (and probably Australian) market for the 2018 model year. This prototype is still using the current T6 Ranger body so if we get a similar model in 2019 or 2020 it probably won't look exactly like this one, or at least what you can see of it under the camo. Things are looking up. :driving:

My guess is we will get this model at some point since Ford needs something to compete with the Colorado ZR2. I'm just hoping we get a V6 gas turbo instead of a turbo diesel or the 4 banger turbo from the Mustang/Focus RS.

I want something that can tow a decent amount of weight but I don't want all the maintenance costs of a diesel and I think a 4 cyl gas turbo would get lousy fuel mileage when towing.

Actually, I'd probably be happy with a Ranger FX4 if it came with the 2.7L EcoBoost, ten-speed auto and 3.73:1 axle ratios. I don't plan on doing any desert racing, especially since the nearest desert is a few thousand milers away...:grin:

I'm looking forward to this being released in the US. I would likely trade in my SportTrac for one.

No mention of a Raptor for us this week during the 2019 Ranger reveal at the NAIAS. Doesn't mean we won't get one eventually but I would also not be surprised if we don't. Everything about the new Ranger seems to be designed not to compete with the F-150. No V6, no regular cab, no diesel. All of those are available on F-150 but not Ranger. Why would they do a Ranger Raptor that would potentially steal sales from their own F-150 Raptor? Ford does not sell the F-150 in most of the markets where the Ranger Raptor was announced a few weeks ago.

Latest posts