Ranger Tailgate and Our Trucks....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate B

Reaction score
Does anyone know if we have the same style, as in mounting points, hindges, etc. as a Ranger?? I know the frame and suspension is, but I don't know about the tailgate. One of the guys here has a Ranger and he's gonna bring it in so we can see, but I'm impatient, and I want to know now. :D

I don't know if you guys have seen these or not - the Tire-Gates. They came in the other day with some samples, and the truck they were in had one installed. They have an application for the Ranger, but of course, not for us. I told them I knew a lot of people (all of you) that would be interested for an application for the ST, so they're going to send me the mounting hardware to test fit it on my truck... if it measures out that is. If it doesn't, and if tthere's a lot of interest, they might put one into production for us.

Thanks in advance.

Nate

[Broken External Image]:

Nate, regarding the "Tiregate", doesn't that seem like a lot of weight/stress on one bed wall? Just watching that animated gif I think I can see the box wall leaning inward.... ;-)

They use what they call a 'Torque Tube' that connects the two side walls on the bottom of the bed that supports the sides. One of the reps opened up the gate all the way, then put his full weight on the tailgate and the truck, and the side walls held up fine. They even had a full size 35" tire.

Thanks Nate.

Regarding "Torque Tube" and the "sales rep putting all his weight on the gate", the mfgr is obviously assuming people will question the ruggedness just as I did.

I guess I will have to judge for myself, though I have no reason to doubt you. It's just that I get a little uncomfortable when it's flash vs. substance (e.g. the "flash" of actually calling it a "Torque Tube", and the dog and pony show of putting all one's weight on it vs true engineering).

P.S. Looking more closely, it seems as if it isn't actually hinged to the bed wall, but on the whole U shaped tube across the bed back...in which case, I have less reservations.

Latest posts