Ranger V8swap ?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris MacAdams 2

Reaction score
Does anybody know of options for a V8 swap in a 03-04 ranger, is there anything thats just bolt in, or is there alot of modifications to be made, im looking forsomething like an old 5.0 of or a 4.6 id like to keep it ford only, i was gonna go to a ranger forum but i feel im not getting the run around here.

There have been many people that swaped a 5.0 into a Ranger. I have not heard much about the 4.6. The problem with the 4.6 is that it is just too darn big of an engine configuration. Even the old Mustangs that came with 428 ci engines have a hard time fitting a 4.6.

But a 5.0 works.

Tom

There've been a few 4.6 swaps, and if memory serves, they needed 3-4" of lift to fit the motor in there.

Nothing just bolts in. Some require a small firewall modification, or transmission tunnel modification. Of course, lots of wiring to redo, if you go with EFI.

Your going to want to head over and talk to the guys at rangerpowersports.com

There are alot of V8 Rangers over there and full write ups on the swap.

Good luck

By far the best choice is a 5.0 from a 95-01 Explorer. The wiring will be the closest match and I don't believe there are any body or firewall mods necessary from 98-up on the Rangers. There might be a trans tunnel seem that needs to be hammered up, but I think that's it. Prior to 98, you had to notch your A/C box to clear the valve cover. Also, the front accessories are the most compact on those motors and use a nice serpentine belt setup.