RE: Exhaust 101 (STA) - Please!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinbakon

Reaction score
Well, I got my exhaust in last night. Time to get it installed.

I'm going with the same as psycareyo, muffler swap and resonator delete:

Magnaflow #14236 5"x8"x11" oval offset/offset 2.5"/2.5" muffler with custom pipes.
. . . (btw, a lot smaller than I expected)

The place that’s going to weld it in for me is Ripley's Muffler & Brakes in Houston, Texas.

They come highly recommended and seem to be pretty top-notch for performance etc.

Apparently they have their own Mandrel Pipe Bending machine.

The advise I'm looking for is, since I am replacing the resonator with a bit of straight pipe, is there any low-cost modification I should consider while I have it in there? Would there be any benefit (sound, preformance, etc.) to replacing all the pipe from the cat to the new muffler with say larger diameter???

Just thought I'd ask . . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe I stayed with 2.5" pipe since that was the size of the inlet and I didn't see much point in using 3" when the muffler it self was straight through in design.

Yeah, basically no reason. Just didn't see the point in running 3 inch into a 2.5 for about a foot and a half. I didn't think it would look as good.

3 inch into a 2.5 for about a foot and a half

Actually, I was considering starting at the cat to the muffler; so it would be a few feet. I thought it might open 'er up a little, and possibly create a slightly deeper/mellower tone into the muffler. Considering it would reduce back to 2.5 @ the muffler thought, I thought it might be a pointless mod. I have very little understanding on the physics of airflow and exhaust, but I know of owners using larger diameter pipe for portions and throughout. In the end & as I've said before, you seem pretty happy with your setup and I wouldn't want to vary much.

Not going with the ROUSH exhaust tip!?

I actually considered the Roush tip when I saw yours. I like the way it (some-what) contours the profile of the bumper cut-out. Its got a real nice appeal. IMO though, I just cant get over the fact that its not symmetrical. Its also like a square peg in a not-so-square hole . . . or something along those lines :lol: . If there were dual cut-outs, I'd first off do a true dual and second, go with the Roush tips. I don't think I'd mind the slight difference in contour then.

I also like the stock tip (not my favorite, but no objection either).

I'll probably do some research and in the coming months, hopefully find a tip I like better.

My pipe is from the cat back. I don't remember how long it was but it was an unremarkable length.

I had some thoughts in my mind about back pressure and loss of low end grunt but honestly .5" isn't going to make that big a difference. It kinda get's bottle necked at the muffler inlet anyway.

I do love my setup. If I had to do it over again I would have done more research on electric cut out exhaust systems. I couldn't really find a great quality one for use in Northern NY. The concept is awesome though.

I looked into the electrical cut-out.

I love the concept.

Maybe if you had two exhaust setups and you wanted to switch between the two, but all I've heard is not to do it.

I've been reassured that it sounds great with classic muscle cars, but it sounds like s**t with modern vehicles.

I'm not willing to take the risk myself, but I'd like to hear it on someone else's :D