re-key tonneau cover lock

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john lane

Reaction score
have a new 07 xlt, just had ford tonneau cover put on , dealer did not re-key. does anyone have directions, on how to do it? thanks, john

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to do the same thing. I even ordered my ST w/the cover and it still came with a seperate key. The explanation dealer gave me was that because it is an option, they have to issue a seperate key for it?? Quite the hassel, if you ask me. Anyway, would be interested to find out if a locksmith can do that for us that one key can be used for the whole truck. Would be nice.

Cubber, same here....ordered my 07 ST w/Tonneau Cover and it has a different key. Actually they forgot to give me the original key when I took delivery so they ordered a new tonneau cover lock set which of course was different from the ignition key. Maybe i'll check on having mine rekeyed to match my ignition key as well.

I just bought a 3rd key (as a spare) last week which I suggest everyone should do. It's especialy important because you must have 2 working keys to program the 3rd, if you don't already have 2 keys Ford is going to reem your pocket out for a simple key.

I bought a used cover from a member here and he sent his key for the locks. I did a search on this site and found out how to remove the locks from the cover and did that in the parking lot of a locksmith. I brought them inside and $25 dollars and 45 min later I had all the locks on my truck keyed the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I got my '07 ST my dealership did not give me a key for the top. They said it was lost in transit from Ford. Way to go Ford!

They had a lock smith come to the dealership and re-key it for me. Took about an hour or so to do the 2 lock cylinders. No charge, it was on the dealership.