rear axle leak

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john yep 2

Reaction score
I had my rear axle fluid changed and its leaking already,the mechanic told me he used some silicone to seal it initially...is that right .What should i do to make sure they dont mess up again.Does it need a gasket..i have an 02 trac..Thanks.

That is interesting. I had ours changed before we went to Louisville, and a couple of weeks ago noticed it looked like it was possibly leaking. It was torqued to the specified 25lbs. Does it need to be re-torqued? Don't recall if they used silicone to seal it.

If you dont use the correct silicone, it will leak. If you dont give it time to set good, before adding the lube, it will leak. You must clean the gasket surface with a cleaner that dries up the oil on the surface..

I allways buy a paper gasket and put a thin coat of High temp copper plus on both sides of the gasket..

Make sure they did not overfill it and it is actually leaking from the front pinion seal or the vent and leaking down the rear to where the cover is and making it look like it is leaking..

Todd Z

Like Todd, I like to use a paper gasket as it provides some give for uneven surfaces. Also, when using silicone, there are only a few out there specifically for oil applications. Almost all the blacks and red (color of the silicone) is. NEVER use blue, the oil eats it for lunch and it WILL leak.

From what I have seen, the pinion seals have a tendancy to leak on the ST. You may want to check for sure where the leak is coming from.