Rear Axle Lube Change

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny O

Reaction score
Changed the rear axle lube over the weekend. I do it and the t-case every 30k and hit 90k last week. Gen 2's are alleged to have soft bearings in the rear, on the other hand we get a drain plug and don't have to remove the cover. Probably should have taken pics for a Member Project, but here goes.

Tools: suction gun, 3/8" drive ratchet, drain pan, sheet of cardboard, 2 quarts of Mobil 1 75w-140 gear lube plus a smidge more, rubber gloves, beer.

Remove the spare tire. This isn't totally necessary but there is a hole in the crossmember that you can snake the suction gun hose through to the fill plug and it is easier this way.

Put down a sheet of cardboard, stuff WILL drip, and the drain pan.

Remove the fill plug first, just to make sure it comes out.

Remove drain plug.

Have a beer.

Wipe off the magnets on the back side of the drain and fill plugs. There will be metal shavings on them.

Replace the drain plug, just snug is fine, you don't have to crank it hard and break the cover.

Fill the suction gun, snake the hose through the hole in the crossmember into the fill hole, empty gun, repeat until some lube runs out of the hole.

Replace fill plug, just snug is fine.

Have a beer.

Clean up your mess.

Have another beer.

I'm doing the rear axle on mine next week. I ordered a new diff cover from Riddler. I thought I had everything needed but just realized I don't have any beer. Thanks for the reminder.

I've got a torque wrench. I did almost use this project as an excuse to get a Snap On torque wrench, though. I'm mostly behaving and just left it on my Amazon wish list for now. My birthday is next month for anyone reading.:grin:

There are a couple reasons I won't go with a Lube Locker despite their rave reviews. Mainly, the hardware that comes with the diff cover requires around 25 ft lbs and the Lube Locker gasket requires 35 ft lbs, often resulting in broken hardware. I could spend a a few pennies for stronger hardware but, eh... The gooey stuff has always worked well for me.

The other reason is I don't know how soon I'll need to take the cover off again based on my great ability to find water. I know the Lube Locker is supposedly "reusable" but I just can't imagine myself reusing one, no matter how much I spent on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts