Rear axle squeak/squeal.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Schindler

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
Reaction score
I have a problem I am racking my mind trying to figure it out.

The vehicle is a 2000 Explorer 4x4 with 163,000+ miles. I get a squeak out the left rear wheel area. It sounds like brake noise. Sometimes it does it when turning a corner, sometimes when you are driving straight. If it is squeaking, pressing on the brakes sometimes stops it, sometimes it doesn't. If it is squeaking, sometimes veering the vehicle to the left or right will stop it, sometimes it doesn't.

I think I have ruled out the brakes. I moved the left side to the right side and the right side to the left side and it still comes from the left side. Nothing is touching the rotor to cause the squeak.

I am thinking wheel bearing. Anyone agree? Disagree?

Tom

Are the axle bearings greased sealed units or differential oil lubed? My brother had a squeling axle bearing, on a ford 9" unit. '73 f-150, had sealed bearing and the inner race was spinning on the axle shaft. Lucky a new bearing held tight on the old axle. Or Maybe enough play to rub the brake backing plate?

The bearings are differential fluid lubed.

Dingo, what should I expect to see with the c-clips? I will have to pull the pin and pull the axles. What could be the culpret with the c-clips?

Tom

Are you 100% sure that it's coming from the rear? the 4x4 Explorers and Mountaineers are notorious for the front excluder seal(dust seal between the back of the front bearing and the axle) for drying up and casuing this same squeal/squeek noise, Ford even issued a TSB on it.

Sounds similar to my squeak. After last week, I am SURE mine is coming from the right rear.

Taking it in tomorrow, 4th time for same issue- will let you know if they find anything.

I don't think I'd use lemon law for a squeak/squeal.

Usually, defects have to substantially reduce safety, value, and/or usability in order to be sucessfully fought via lemon law.

Ford could argue that this is not a defect, but "normal condition" and probably win if lots of others are having the problem.

I am a Lemon Law arbitrator for several makes of cars (not ford) , so I know a bit about what goes and doesn't go for lemon law cases.

Caymen, sometimes, one of them will slightly deform. Usually happens after an accident or a hard lateral curbing.

Maybe the axle play is allowing the rotor to rub the parking brake inside the rotor..

Parking brake hanging up ??

Todd Z

Todd,

I first thought the same thing. I tore everything apart, no signs of rubbing. I loostened up the parking brake, still makes that noise.

I am thinking it is the rear wheel bearing, but will check what l1tech spoke of first. I need to confirm it is the rear wheel and not the front. I am 99.9% sure it is the rear, but I want to confirm before I take the axles out. While I have everything apart, I might as well replace the right side.

There is no abnormal heat on any of the wheels that would be a sign of dragging brakes.

Tom

Drive shaft universal joint ???

Todd Z

No. It is coming from the rear wheel. I did notice I have a slight fluid leak. I did add some fluid to see if maybe the bearing is running dry. it will take a day, or so, to see if that was the problem.

Tom

The bearings are sealed, adding fluid will do nothing, if you have a fluid leak, you have a bad seal, you have a dry seal, a dry seal will make noise, good luck.

The bearings are not sealed.

Look at this picture.

[Broken External Image]:

See inside that hole in the axle. Those are called bearings. This is the rear differential. I have had it apart. I know how it is designed.

Tom

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Just so you know that I do know what I am talking about.

Tom

Hey Tom: Post a pick of that clear cover while you are going down the road at 70 MPH. I've always wanted to know what was going on in the rear axle at high speeds!

Gavin, I was suggesting the lemon law because it seems you have posted various things that keep breaking.

Also Tom had a thread of a video of the gears running while on jack stands. Looks as if he removed it from his library.

Gavin,

Not 70 MPH, but I did get a video of it running.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BZ1Y_goOb-g&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BZ1Y_goOb-g&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Tom

Latest posts