Rear Axle

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Mason

Reaction score
Just found out that my passenger-side rear axle seems to have excessive in-out play? Is there a spec out there? Feels like about 1/4" - 3/8". Is this a c-clip replacement or is there a shim kit to tighten this up?

Thanks!!

Probably less than you think. Most likley normal. C-clips are not that thick. They are a hardened bronze. If you have rear disc. Calipers will hold the axles also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, still seems a little excessive to me and it's about time to replace the rear fluid anyway so I will take a look. I seem to remember a project that detailed the differential disassembly? I replaced the driver's side rear bearing/seal several years ago and thought there was a project on it but I can't seem to find anything except the rear disk conversion project. This is a 4:10 limited slip. Is there a project on file that I am missing?

Thanks again everyone! I've said it before: This site ROCKS!!

Let me know if you need more info. GL

axle-shaft-in-vehicle-repair.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
rear-wheel-bearing-and-axle-shaft-oil-seal-8212-drum-brake-in-vehicle-repair.pdf

Latest posts