Rear Diff Fluid

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Trac. When should a rear diff fluid be changed? The manual says 100k miles. Local mechanics says 30k according to Ford recommendations.

The 30,000 mile interval is only if the fluid is non synthetic. Look where the differential cover is bolted on, there should be a tag that has the fluid type on it that is held on by one of the cover bolts.

100,000 unless the axle is submerged in water, like off-roading or launching a boat, in which case it should be changed ASAP. I do mine at 50k just because I'm picky.

The transmission and transfer case (if you have a 4x4) should be changed every 30k.

I just got the fluid changed in both differentials and the transfer case. When the service rep mentioned that it's a 100k mile service interval, I replied "it's already over 1/4 of the way there, and I have no idea how the previous owner drove this thing". Suddenly it didn't seem so crazy to the guy!

I had both axles done in my daughter's Jeep last year, 97 Wrangler, 145,000 miles then, and immediately the (automatic) transmission upshifted faster and easier. Made me wonder how thick the crap was in the axles.

Latest posts