rear diff??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Sport Trac is an Explorer and not a Ranger. Hence the name "Explorer Sport Trac".

Tom

Caymen lighten up on him... depending on what one is comparing the Sport Trac might have more in common with a ranger than Explorer.... just answer a question or don't. No need to be rude.... no one appreciates it.

Caymen.... i understand it is on an explorer platform... but the reason i'm asking is the 8.8 i sused in many vehicle; mustangs, rangers, explorers, sport tracs.... etc. just trying to make sure what is in it.

Becker... thanks.

From my understanding, the 28 Spline axle is used in the Mustang, but not the Ranger.

The Sport Trac is an Explorer.

Tom

8.8" Ranger axles are all 28 spline except for 2002 FX4 and 2003+ FX4 Level II models which have 31 spline axles (along with a Torsen diff).

Bump.

:cool:

Cool... I wasn't sure when the Ranger went from 28 to 31 splines. Just another reason you have to be sure of your exact application if looking at rear diff. parts. :D

I won't go round and round on the similarity or dissimilarity of the Trac to a Ranger or Explorer but it's frame is almost identical in dimensions to a supercab ranger, and (~) somewhere close to 14" or so LONGER than any other Explorer. I just think ford didn't want to sell a 4 door ranger in the states for the $ of the trac. But forgive me for my comments sometimes regarding some Sport Trac owners, as after 6 years and 3 months and 27 days of ownership... I've learned that some trac owners are elitists that can't learn from others.

That's not a flame on anyone specifically.... I just prefer when everyone plays nice and is on the board to genuinely help others.

But forgive me for my comments sometimes regarding some Sport Trac owners, as after 6 years and 3 months and 27 days of ownership... I've learned that some trac owners are elitists that can't learn from others.

I am sure with 6 years, 3 months, and 27 days of ownership, that the Explorer Sport Trac did end up coming with 4 wheel disk brakes.

A frame is one thing. Actual parts added to the frame makes it different.

Of course, I am an elitist. I only have two Explorers myself (2000 XlT (150,000 miles) and a 2002 Sport Trac (89,500 miles)) my brother has a 1999 XLS (160,000 miles), and my sister and brother-in-law has a 1998 XLS (190,000 miles).

My father drives a 2003 Ranger Supercab.

Of course, I am not trying to flame you, but rather an elightment that I know many of the differences between the two. Dad has the smaller axle in his Ranger. It is only a 4x2 XLT. Never had a reason to take his axles out.

I service all of those, except my brother 1999 because he knows how to service his own vehicle and Dad is unable to service his vehicles anymore. He is 74 years old and has health problems.

Tom

Some of the serious off-roaders on the Ranger boards swap in an Explorer 8.8" for the extra strength and disc brakes on the later axles. Also an Explorer rear is 1.5" wider than a Ranger rear.

It always bugged me (and I did find it odd) that my 01 Sport Trac came with rear drum brakes when every other 4x4 Ford (2001) seemed to come stock from the factory with 4-wheel disc brakes! :rolleyes: