Rear Differential on 04

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Smith 2

Reaction score
Seem to be experiencing a slight rubbing/grinding feeling in rear when accelerating from stop and slow turning..Rear some posts elsewhere about rear diff problems on regular Explorers starting at about 60k miles...PLease tell me I dont have to replace the whole diff, I have only had the car for two months ; bought used with 40k on it....Any preventative maintainance I could do like change the rear fluid???? HELP!!!

It could be the brakes hanging up, Parking brake hanging up, IT could be the backing plate rubbing the rotor or seals or bearings....

have to diagnose it a little more so we can accurately help you out...

Todd Z

Do you have a limited slip rear end? If so it sounds like your clutch packs are worn out. You could try a rear diff fluid change and make sure they add the limited slip friction modifier. Do some figure eights in a parking lot to work it in. Some claim this works. My 05 F150 is doing the same thing. The fluid change didn't help. I am hoping it doesn't get too bad before the end of this month when my lease ends.

I have the exact same problem with my 04. It won't rub or vibrate when going strait but if I make the slightest turn of the from wheels while taking off you can feel the vibration/rubbing what ever it is. I asked this same question a few weeks back and everyone who replyed to it said it may be the rear end depending on if I had limited slip or non limited slip. In my case I do have the limited slip D4-3.73. Although yours is a 4x4 and mine is a 4x2 so you have a different rearend, but the fact that both of these are 04 I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this in a 04?

Thank you for the info all...At the risk of sounding like a boob what is the difference between a limited and non limited slip diff...sorry I just drive the thing, the mechanic does most of the work...thank you again, scotty

With an open diff, (non limited slip) either one wheel or the other turns when the rear axle receives power. With a limited slip power is transferred to both wheels. The clutch pack allows for slippage when your wheels turn at different speeds (when you are going around a corner etc.)

I think that is somewhat how it works, someone else may have a better explanation.

If you look in the FAQ area you will find several things on the rearend ratio etc.

What is a limited slip differential?

Answer

A differential is a gearbox that allows two wheels on the same axle to turn at different rates. If a car is going in a straight line, all wheels should be turning at the same rate of speed. If the car turns left, the wheels on the right side (the ones on the outside of the turn) have to turn faster than the wheels on inside of the turn because they must travel farther than the inside wheels in the same amount of time. The differential gearbox makes this possible. A limited slip differential is a modified version of a differential gearbox. It applies more power to one wheel if the other wheel on the same axle begins to spin. While not as effective as four wheel drive, limited slip differential is a good way to get extra traction in situations where wheel spin may occur, such as driving up a wet or snowy hill, towing a boat up a steep ramp, etc.

non limited slip: Both wheels turn the same at all times.

My 04 made noise, But nothing like you described....

I changed the rear fluid, ( By removing the cover, not just pumping the fluid out)

added a FORD bottle of limited slip friction modifier and new 75/140 synthetic fluid.

The noise went away..

Also did you check your fluid level ??

How does the fluid look??

Todd Z

My LS dif was chattering at 30K miles. Dealer replaced clutch packs under warranty at 35,8** miles. Have 74,4** now with no problems. That's the only thing that has needed to be fixed on my 04 2wd. Been driving it four years. Replaced front brakes and all tires about 10K miles ago. Best vehicle I've ever owned. Will be taking my Trac from St. Louis to Key West next week.

Last edited by a moderator: