Rear Differential Overhaul

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Price 2

Reaction score
Well, close to 150K and needed my rear diff rebuilt. Sounds so good now! Actually, no sound at all. Here is the breakdown.

Gear Kit- 456.86 (4.10 open) 762b730f

Bearing Kit- 197.93 762B004

Spider Gears- 281.48 762b717

Gear Oil- 22.48 (mobil1 syn 75w-90)

Shop Supplies- 42.70

Labor- 442.00

=1023.93+442=1465.93 (+tax 84.47)=1550.40 12month/12k warranty

OUCH! I know. Pretty much is going to screw up my x-mas gift ideas for my 2 girls.

I looked up these parts. Same part(powertorque)#'s as Oreily's. Don't think they are from there as he said they ordered them from their parts house. Anyway, here is the breakdown from Oreilys.

Gear Kir- 355.99

Bearing Kit- 102.99

Spider Gears- 92.99

Seems as they added approx 100 to the gears and bearings. No surprise there. They have overhead. I get it. But, 3x the price on the spider gears.?. Geeeez.

This used to be a independent trans shop that rebuilt my honda earlier this year. A new trans shop has since took over. They have a few locations around Austin area. Each ind. owned. The guys are great! I asked to shake the hand of the tech. We ended up chatting for a bit. Super nice fellow with 20+yrs specializing in trans and drivetrain. He seemed very proud of his work. His coworker said he even takes pics(gear marking test etc.) of each job he does for his portfolio.(and to cover his butt i would guess).

oh, btw. got some odd google results when i tried "rear end..." :)

****So when I go back next week for a quick insp. on the lift. Should I ask about the 3x price on the spider gears?????? I even mentioned to the guy when I first went in that I don't mind at all paying for quality labor but please don't screw me on parts. I did ask them to keep all used parts and new part boxes(I forgot them. He said he had them in the back.I'm calling in the am) I asked for timken. Dont know if Timken makes the oreilys Powertorque?)

My trac has sound horrible all year. I changed the gear oil back in Feb. worked a little for the roaring. But, the last month I've had like 3 different noises. Changed the gear oil again as a last chance effort. To the untrained eye the ring/pinion/spider gears looked ok . No shaving either, both times I changed it. I somewhat trust them. They even offered for me to come look when the took the cover off. (i live like 45min from the shop though)but my feeling is they probably always just rebuild the entire diff to cover themselves.?

This post is just to give folks an idea of how much approx for a diff rebuild. But, I think I got screwed on those spider gears.

***Final question... I asked if they did the wheel bearings. They said yes but I think he my have thought I was referring to the (axle) (side)(carrier) bearings in the housing. ??are the wheel bearings part of one on those kits?

Thanks for reading

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they screwed up my spider gear part # charge or something. The part # I need is 762B717A not 762B717 like it is listed on my invoice. At Oreilly's the "A" part is $92. the part without the "A" is for a 28 spline and is $260. I hope they just mis-printed this. ???

Many times open gear roaring may only be the pinion bearing. That has been my experiance. I never had an open gear need rebuild. Carrier bearings, spider gears, etc.

I have replaced a few axle bearings. Have you actualy pinpointed the roar?

I have gone 200K on open diff's for street service.

Ouch, Sorry I replaced the Gears, all bearings, seals,and the whole posi unit with all motorsport parts, labor and fluid, under $800.00......

I upgraded to the 4:56 gears and Limited slip Cobra mustang CF posi unit.

Todd Z

I went back to the shop and sure enough they charged me for the 28 spline spider gears. They did install the correct 31 spline spiders. I checked the part number on the new part boxes they saved for me. Anyway, the owner will call me in a few days to give me credit. As the 28 spline set is 3x the amount of the 31 spline set. Probably just a typo.? or trying to screw me?. The part numbers are the same on both sets EXCEPT for the letter "A" at the end of the 31 spline set. Also I spoke with the tech. I asked him man to man if he changed the wheel bearings as well.(it was not on the invoice) I said I will give him the job if not. He said he def did and not to mention it to the owner as they did not charge me. So that's a plus.

When he initially took the cover off. The side(carrier) bearings were toast with a lot of play which affected everything. I believe it as I had a few different noises coming from in there. I have the old ring and pinion. It looks fine to me. But better safe than sorry I guess. For both the tech's sake and mine.

Latest posts