rear end leak at pinion

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary mendelow

Reaction score
asking for some initial thoughts and opinions on my 2001..

not four wheel drive

rear has been noisy since i got it four years ago.

i have put 60,000 on the truck since getting it with 77000. truck may have been used to take seadoos out of saltwater. in florida.all rubber seals were shot like grease cups...as were the body mounts..

now it is putting down a coffee can size leak in garage right under the diff..

it is blowing back from the pinion and leaking from the diff..cover is bone dry

thoughts on repair, fixing the leak, fixing the noise..getting a used diff..ill take it all from all you knowledgeable folks..

thanks as always!! gary

any of course happy holidays!

Hi gary,

I'm not sure if the 2001 Sport Trac has this, but most rear differentials have a vent at the top to relieve heat and pressure build up in rear gears. If you suspect that a previous owner may have submerge the axle in salt water while launching a jet-ski, you may have a big problem caused by water entering the vent and contaminating the gear oil in the differential. That has the potential of destroying not only the seals but the bearings and gears. If it did not get in the gear case, it still may have damaged the outer seals and bearings.

It's also concerning that you heard axle noise when you bought the truck....probably why the previous owner got rid of it. That alone should have sent up red flags.

I would take off the rear differential cover and examine the gears, seals, and bearings for damage. Especial examine the gear lube for signs of contamination (milky color). If you find any water damage in the gear case, then you should pull the axles and replace the bearings and seals as well.

....Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Rich is right.

I had water in a dodge van diff. I drove thru too much high water and it got in thru the vent.

My bearings and gear face were shot. My cheapest route for repair was to get a complete unit from a salvage yard. Find one with low miles and pull the rear cover and inspect before paying. I got lucky and got a good one.

Be sure to check the gear ratio, disk or drum brakes, limited slip or open gear.

I think the Ranger edge is compatible with the Trac.

guys..again, i have already driven the truck 60,000 miles! i have changed the fluid in their a couple times..once going with thick oil and now some thinner..

wondering if others have had leaks from this spot and what type of seal you used etc.

one you tube showed taking off a nut once the driveshaft is removed one didn't

waiting to hear your experiences in fixing this problem if anyone has had it also.

thanks

gary,

You never said that you had changed the gear lube...even once...but that does not matter since the damage was probably already done when you bought the truck ! Consider yourself lucky that you got 60K noisy miles out of it. If your only complaint is the leak, change the Pinion seal and hope for another 60K noisy miles.

...Rich

ITs not that hard, Buy the Crush washer, Lock nut, seal, and NEW yolk, the seal over time wears a groove in it. Repair sleeves suck.

Follow online torque specs or get the repair manuals. Make sure you have all the needed tools, Or find a shop that is good with that,

Should be no more then $200 is my guess.

Todd Z

Todd thanks so much for your input are you saying to buy all these parts separately and buy them from Ford or do they come in a kit ???can you please be a little more specific for me....a novice..thanks

Btw..i finally got the grille you sold are basically gave me installed and it looks super compared to that awful aftermarket pos I had..Thanks again!!

Latest posts