rear end outta here

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willie Anglin

Reaction score
well the wife says i need to drive the ST and check what is going on with it. i drive and the rear end is clanking like no tomorrow. it is a 2005 with 4:10s and a limited slip. took to the shop. probably the spider gears but do not know as of yet. she drives it to work every day and she drives a super steep mountain to get to a resort type community and this is what caused it to break, i believe. it has 114K on it.

I dont know if the mountian load, was the problem. Shouldnt have been. Unless the oil level was low enough to not lube the spiders, on the way up.

At 114k might as well rebuild the limited slip also.

called the shop and it was the spider gears, they are gone. replacing them and all the bearings but he said the ring and pinion and axles are good. lucked out if you ask me. also he said it was full of grease so the mountain did get it. he works on the company vehicles for the resort and he has had to replace several rear ends for the same thing.

also he said it was full of grease so the mountain did get it

Is there a posibility the road is so steep? That the fluid shifts away from the gears?

If so that has to be hard on the pinion bearing.

Maybe a cover that holds a level of fluid, Higher than the OEM filler plug. The cover I have has a filler plug on the rear, that way.

I dont have spider gears. I installed a power-trax unit.

I had the gears trash out on my Trac.

he is what I came up with. My clutches went bad. They seized up (could tell by the clutches locked to the plates) turning it into a spool. Due to this, the turns caused one wheel to spin around corners. Finally, the gears couldn't handle it anymore. They gave out.

Replaced the gears and clutches with GT500 parts and put it all together. Took care removing the carrier and making sure everything was put together EXACTLY how I took it apart. Been 2 years and all is well.

No biggie...

Tom

Got the ST back. All total it was $515. My wife works for a rich lady on the hill and she gave her $250 towards the repair. really nice of her. anyway wife says it feels tighter some how? will drive later.

Latest posts