rear end

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j Schmidty

Reaction score
I have a 2001 4x4 trac and I was wondering what anybody knows about the rear end. Was there only one kind on the 4x4? Was it limited slip? the trac has all the options (exept leather and a sunroof). It is the nice package. I just got it used in July with about 55k mi. By the way, the people on this site are great. Thanks for all your insight. :)

8.8 rear.

31 spline.

two gear options 3.73 or 4.11.

two differential options open or limited slip.

And if you do a little search you can find the info which will tell you exactly what you have:

<a href="http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=719595&REPLYCOUNT=21&sitename=mysporttrac"target=top>Search Results for "gear ratio"</a>

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to nit-pick there Spiffy, but the gear ratio is 4.10....not that it really matters much.

There are a few ways to tell which ratio you have, I'm sure the link Spiff has provided will bring forward most, if not all, of those procedures.

My 2001 4x4 has 3.73 gear with an open differential

If you have a 4.10 LS and don't like it I will come to you and do the swap... All you would need to do is drink a "few" brews and offer condolences over my bandaged knuckles.. hehe

:D