Rear headrest

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Bendfeldt

Reaction score
Grandson is big enough to have the carseat facing to the front now but I can't fit it in under the headrest and I don't know how to remove the rear headrest. Can someone with kids or grand kids help? Thanks in advance.

Benny

Benny, I've been told they can be removed using a paperclip and an extra pair of hands. kkreit01 wrote on 12/15/09, "insert a paperclip or small nail into the holes at the base of the posts. push down hard and the headrest will release" Its a pain and two people are needed, one to push the clips and one to removes the headrest. It works, good luck. BC :welcome:

Benny- I posted "Rear Headrest(s) Removed" on 12/22/09 with pictures.

Not sure if your Gen 2 '07 seats are different from my Gen 1 '05.

Try the "paper clip" method first.

If that doesn't succeed:

Don't remove (unbolt) the rear seats from the ST.

Move the front seats all the way up. Tilt the rear seats forward.

Remove the staples that fasten the rear seat covers to the composite seat base.

Detatch the velcro carefully, rolling the seat cover all the way up to the brown guides.

Remove the two silver retaining "R" clips, used for each headrest, using needle nose pliers. (Shown removed third pic)

Pull the seat cover down to the original position, snugly. (Like tight jeans) LOL

Use upholstery tacks to refasten the seat cover to the base.

Much improved visibility. Headrests can be reinstalled easily from the top, if needed.

Project time, under 45 minutes, for both rear seats. (Three headrests)

A very EASY project, done solo. Just take your time, very worthwhile.

[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
The paperclip method is the way to go. I had mine off in a couple minutes. Just stick the clip in the hole on one side and pull it up as far as you can. Stick it in the hole on the other side and pull up and the headrest should come right out.

Latest posts