Rear Main Oil Seal

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a rear main oil seal fluid/conditioner to stop a leak? I have a vehicle that is 15 years old and not sure I can justify the labor cost ($700) to replace a $25 part. The oil is not dripping on the ground, but is evident it has a leak from looking under the truck.

I have seen plenty of these products used..... Some work, MOST dont...

The oil seal stop leaks swell ALL the seals in the motor NOT just the rear main seal....

IT may work for a little but it will come back....... and also chance ruining the rest of the seals..

Todd Z

Dean, check out White Shepherd products from universalproducts.com It is not cheap but guaranteed not to create any problems. They have different products for different leaks. I just used the engine seal and rear main sealer in my 55 Nash and it made a big improvement on the amount of leaks I had. A lot of us old car buffs swear by it. I had to order direct, but you may be able to get it at an auto parts store near you. They show a list of where it is available on their web site. It is great stuff, not snake oil.

Rod