Rear squeak

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking for the wisdom of the board to help my with my problem.

I have a new to me 2003 Sport Trac, 2WD. I recently upgraded the shocks to Gabriel Max Control, new rear bushings, and a Explorer Express swaybar in the back (and similar hardware in the Front). After a few weeks my truck developed a squeak in the drivers rear. After trying to figure it out I took it to a local shop that diagnosed it as a bad rear springs. They said the rear springs have shot bushing and the metal on metal sound is the squeak.

Does this sound right? Truck only has 66,000 miles. Seems pretty young to have a spring failure.

Jeremy

I jacked mine up and unbolted the rear leaf spring brackets and lubed them with grease. Went from a terrible embarrassing squeak to no sound whatsoever. Been almost a year now.

If you have the EE rear sway bar. I would look at lubing the main bushings. They do sqeek when dry.

Everything is well greased and all bushings except the leaf spring bushings have been replaced. If I need to replace the spring pack is there an upgrade I should look at? It's a five speed, so my towing capacity is limited by the transmission (~2800 lbs).

Thanks

My rear end has had a persistant "squeak" for decades, but that's a whole different issue!
;)

Rubber rots, mileage means nothing, age is the key... Spray them with a dry film lubricant and see if it goes away.

Damn, someone woke up a tired old thread...2012.

"Some say it is still squeaking to this very day..." -SpookyVoice

Latest posts