Rear struts for Gen2 - Monroe? Rockauto???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Michael

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
My left rear strut is leaking oil so it's time to replace. I have a 2010 Gen2, 4WD, V-8, Ltd with 88,000 miles. The Ford dealer wants $777.40 to replace the two rear struts (only) with OEM units and do an alignment. A reputable local auto shop wants $668 for the same thing, using NAPA parts.

I don't have a heated garage and it is winter in Denver so I can't do this on my own in January. I see the Monroe strut assembly (271125) on Amazon for $161 each, including shipping. The struts (71125) are $59 each. Local parts chains want a lot more for these items. I see the Monroe assembly on Rockauto for $110.79 plus $18 for shipping two of them via FedEx.

Two questions:

First - Rockauto has horrible reviews online. They have 881 complaints on the Better Business Bureau. Most complaints say that customer service is zippo. And yet I've seen others post on here that they buy stuff from them. That's quite a price difference so it is tempting but do I risk getting a bogus, used or wrong part in my quest for a lower price?

Second - is it easier to replace the entire assembly than just the strut inside it? Should the labor cost be lower?

I bought the full Quick Strut assemblies for all four positions last year from Rockauto. No problems at all with Rockauto. Received everything in a timely manner.

As for which to buy, I’d recommend the Quick Strut assembly. It’s a lot more labor-intensive if you get just the struts, because you have to remove/reinstall the springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditto, on what TT said. One of our members that live close me. Just did the same. He got the front and rear monroe assy from rock auto. He paid a mechanic $260 for labor...

This afternoon I visited with a nearby independent mechanic with high ratings on the CarTalk mechanics files list. He will install parts I supply for $210. According to the pricing software he uses, there was no difference in the labor charge between installing new struts and strut assemblies. We were both surprised at that since there is obviously a difference in installation time.

Based on two recommendations here, I'll order the Monroe assemblies from rock auto.

My Ford dealer recommended doing an alignment after replacing these struts. I'm ignorant about why that would be needed for rear strut replacement. Help educate me.

If the truck ride height changes by say 1 " or higher then I would align.... The quick strut has a tendency to raise the truck a little for the first year or so.

Its a lot quicker doing the assembly... the real issue is you save $$ in parts too, replacing the strut, and not the top bushing, bellows and if you snap the top plate is another $100 for parts per strut......

You will be happy witht he Monroe as long as its installed properly.. Many placed screw it up.

Thanks Todd. Got the strut assemblies ordered. They should be here next week.

"You will be happy with the Monroe as long as its installed properly.. Many places screw it up."

Tell me more about that. Perhaps I can give this shop some helpful info to prevent a bad installation.

Talked to the local member about his quik-struts. He said, they are great, ride and control. Should have done it sooner.
He also got new poly sway bar bushings.

Thought I'd post an update on my project. I chickened out on buying the Monroe struts from RockAuto because of their horrible online reviews and lack of customer service. I spent a few more bucks and got them from a seller on Amazon. I knew that if they were damaged in transit I would have some recourse.

The [very heavy] boxes arrived with the ends of the struts poking out - a rather poor job of packaging on Monroe's part. But there was no damage to the threads. My shop installed them and indeed the rear end was higher than before by about 2 inches. But after looking at it I realized that it had been slowly sagging for years and now it was back to where it sat 7 years ago (it's a 2010 that I bought in 2013).

I did take it in for a 4-wheel alignment but it was not too far off on any of the wheels. Driving it on bumpy city streets (avoiding potholes like the plague) it seemed to ride a lot smoother than I ever remembered.

The real test was this past week when I took a load of books and other very heavy items from Denver to Grand Junction - a 250 mile drive over the continental divide. I'm sure I had 600 pounds of cargo between the bed and the back seat. WOW! What a dream ride, both loaded on the way over and empty on the way back.

So I'm now a convert for the Monroe struts. I think they ride better than the factory originals and if money were not tight right now I'd put a pair on the front, even though the OEM struts seem to be fine.