rear window initialization sequence

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Stevens

Reaction score
ok so i thought my rear window motor died so i tried the initialization sequence but i guess there are a few different versions... this is the one i used but it does some of it but not all...

Turn the ignition to the ON position.

Press the power rear window control switch vent button six times.

Turn the ignition to the OFF position. The driver door must be OPEN.

Press the power rear window control switch vent button six times.

Turn the ignition to the ON position. The power rear window will move down-up-down-up approximately 20 mm (0.8 in). This movement indicates that the power rear window motor has entered initialization mode.(i do get this movement)

now up to this point everything works but i cant get it to do anything after this...

Rotate and hold the power rear window control switch to the CLOSE position until the window stalls into the upper header seal.

close the drivers side door.

Momentarily rotate the power rear window control switch to the OPEN position and release. The power rear window will carry out a one-touch down operation until the window stalls at the bottom of the travel stop designed into the window regulator.

Rotate and hold the power rear window control switch to the CLOSE position. Continue to hold the switch until after the window stalls into the upper header seal and carries out the down-up movement. This down-up movement is approximately 20 mm (0.8 in). This movement indicates that the power rear window motor has been successfully initialized.

Verify correct operation of the power rear window by moving the window to the fully open, vent, then fully closed positions. If the window does not operate correctly, carefully repeat this procedure.

any ideas?... i would really like to have my window working again... thanks

ps... if i need a new motor is this the right one?

Last edited by a moderator:
not sure of the differences for the 2001 to the 2005 but here is the manual pages for 2001. Trouble shooting the rear window..

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/memberlib.asp?view=&folder=2001%20Manual

The price variance on this new OEM rear window motor is huge. :banghead:

Last edited by a moderator: