Rear window leak

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehof2012

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a '10 Gen 2 ST and before I bought it I ran it through the car wash and noticed the plastic trim above the rear window leaked on both ends. I mentioned this to the shop I bought it from, and they replaced the 3rd brake light stating the seal was damaged.

Well, the leaking is improved, but it's still there. I haven't removed the 3rd brake light to check it yet, but... when you're on top of the truck, there are two "end caps" (don't know the proper terminology) that would appear to seal the roof to some level.

Well, if I look at the right angle, I can see underneath them. I think this might be the cause of the leak?

Just trying to see if anyone has had this issue and can give me a head start. Attached is a stock photo with circles on where I can see a small "gap" if I look right. The rear window goes up/down as it should, no issues there. I constantly have a "drip drip drip" from either end of the trim piece on top of the rear window (just on the ends, not in the middle), when it rains or whatnot.

Thoughts!?

Attachments

• ST.PNG
    ST.PNG
    151.7 KB · Views: 67
On mine I had a leak similar to you. I just used some clear flex seal and sprayed the area and no more leak. For me it was no big deal to use the stuff on the roof and you really don't notice it unless you really look for it. I have used the same stuff for rv and camper tops/roofs with great results. Also another option is to use silicon ad spread it around the area with your fingers. Just food for thought here.

Ah yes.. and I actually purchased some clear flex seal to do just this.. I just wasn't sure how common the issue was, and/or if I'd actually fix it by doing so.

Your leak -- was it from the 3rd brake light, or the two red circled items on top of the roof? Or both?

Thank you!

it was from the the third brake light. I didn't want to replace the light because I have a topper on the bed and have no use for the third brake light since one is on the back of the topper. But the areas you referred to I have sprayed the area because some of the pieces have rotted and became brittle from age. Never noticed a leak from the areas. I also use flex seal to waterproof my tents for camping and it works flawlessly in these Florida rains

it was from the the third brake light. I didn't want to replace the light because I have a topper on the bed and have no use for the third brake light since one is on the back of the topper. But the areas you referred to I have sprayed the area because some of the pieces have rotted and became brittle from age. Never noticed a leak from the areas. I also use flex seal to waterproof my tents for camping and it works flawlessly in these Florida rains
I would still spray the top area of the new light cause they are known for leaking

Third brake light is the culprit.... Remove and re seal.... IF you silicone it you will regret it... The light lens also splits causing leaks too. the new gasket can be found on ebay, don't double the gaskets... the cab corner things are just aesthetic covers.

Thank you Todd! I just ordered a new seal.. whopping $6! I'll be sure to remove the gasket (assuming original one) when I install this.

Hopefully this resolves the leaking, I'm glad to hear you don't think it's the cab corners. Appreciate it!