Rear window troubles

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan M

Reaction score
I have a 2002 ST and have been having troubles getting the rear window to go up without manual help. It tries part way and then goes back down. Any suggestions?

Sounds as if it is binding. Then doing the emergency reverse. Try silicone lubing the track. You will have to take the back panel off. To get to the motor cover. Might find some thing binding. Or the gears are worn...

I have a 2002 ST and have been having troubles getting the rear window to go up without manual help. It tries part way and then goes back down. Any suggestions?
Ryan I have had the same problem with mine for years. Every time it got wet it would bind on the left side going up and drop back down. The dealership fixed it along with a driver side window actuator motor. That lasted about a year and started doing it again. It usually cleared up after several hours but yesterday it stayed down and still is. Any recommendations on your experience would be helpful. Starting with removal of the back panel if applicable in your case.

Ryan I have had the same problem with mine for years. Every time it got wet it would bind on the left side going up and drop back down. The dealership fixed it along with a driver side window actuator motor. That lasted about a year and started doing it again. It usually cleared up after several hours but yesterday it stayed down and still is. Any recommendations on your experience would be helpful. Starting with removal of the back panel if applicable in your case.
Larry, per Ryan's log, he hasn't posted since 2013, so don't be disappointed if he doesn't answer.
Personally haven't had any issue with the rear window in my 2001 ExST (knock wood).
I spray a little silicone lube down the guides once a year, along with all other windows\hinges\latches\locks\...
But also don't have kids who like to hang on that glass in the vented position; that may be the big difference? If CenterBrakeLamp leaks, directly above, this Window mechanism will likely suffer.
Repair\replacement may require removing Backseat+PlasticHatches+Trim & the two Mechanism covers.
Click here for more info.
090221006-jpg.216849

Last edited:
Case solved with the actuator motor reinitialization process after pushing the weather strip away from the glass on both sides with some plastic prying tools. I also removed some decals on the outside which probably added to the friction. Only guessing but the weathered rubber must swell when wet which contributed to the binding. I had also installed a new battery before the window stuck in the down position.

Larry, per Ryan's log, he hasn't posted since 2013, so don't be disappointed if he doesn't answer.
Personally haven't had any issue with the rear window in my 2001 ExST (knock wood).
I spray a little silicone lube down the guides once a year, along with all other windows\hinges\latches\locks\...
But also don't have kids who like to hang on that glass in the vented position; that may be the big difference? If CenterBrakeLamp leaks, directly above, this Window mechanism will likely suffer.
Repair\replacement may require removing Backseat+PlasticHatches+Trim & the two Mechanism covers.
Click here for more info.
090221006-jpg.216849
Thanks Dill I found a link from John Rock Elite Member in Memoriam to the scrbd.com document for reinitialization of the motor after I cleared the obstructions.