Rear window Won't go up

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sal Adinolfi

Reaction score
Ok, Title says it.

here is what I have.

I tried the procedures from the search. and in the manual Volume 2 page 501-11-111

No help.

Window goes down, not up or vent.

Is it only the motor? or the switch?

or can it be the limit switches?

Please any help before I go and buy a motor.

Post here please. I can not get my email from work.

thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Sal,

I take it you tried the override procedure in the manual.

here is what I have.

I tried the procedures from the search.aqnd in the manual Volume 2 page 501-11-111

No help

From the comment I quoted, it leads me to beleve you did. First thing I would do is grab a multimeter, and check the power connections to make sure you are getting power to the motor. Also, I would disconnect the glass from the mechinism to see if the motor will run. If not, I would be willing to bet it is the motor.

Theresa's Pontiac had that problem. The window would go down, but not up.

Tom

PS Glad to see Q is still as helpfull as ever.

The motor does NOT care what way the polarity is. Up and down is done by the wires being swapped via the switch, (actually, via a module but the switch is what tells it what to do). If all seems to be good for the most part, I suggest unplugging the motor and either operating it via a remote battery or make jumper wires from the plug you unplug and swap them.

That way, when you choose to go down, it will operate the motor in the up position.

If you need a motor, I have them, just let me know.

Ok, Tried to run it with the window disconnected. it only runs down.

will not vent. or close.

I would tryt o ru it from a remote batery. but doesnt the logic board need to be reset before it will run?

I am going to try the switch first. or at least try to ohm it out. will be doing that on Wed. night after work.. would do it today. but everything is a little crazy here this week.

will not even vent when the window is up. to go down.. only fully down.

I will be going through the T-shooting proceedures from the manual.

but wont be able to until Wed. after work.

any other sugestions will be greatly appreciated.

thanks for the help.

Caymen,

The procedure is the Rear window motor initalization

the one you have to do everytime the motor is disconnected from power.

it comes with a new motor. and in the manual

Going to Ohm out the switch first. i hope to find it soon.

Good thing is, At least I got the window up before the rain that is supose to be here tonight.

Sal, if it won't re-initialize it's very probably the logic board/module that's integrated with the motor. I used a test light on the rear connector to check out the switch (so I wouldn't have to take the radio bezel off).

Edit: Forgot I had this, but it's a wiring diagram for the 2001 rear window:

Kefguy,

Thanks. I have the shop manual Volume 2 and wiring diagrams.

Taking off the bezel is easy. so not a problem there..

Going to check at both place.. just to make sure..

The first thing I would do is unplug the motor and put a volt / Ohm Meter into the ends of the plug, (on the volt scale). Operate the switch and see what the read out is. It will be one of three things. Either nothing, (an open) as the switch or module is not telling the motor what to do. Or, 12 volt positive or 12 volt negative. Since the motor does not care about polarity, the positive will operate the motor in one direction and the negative in the other direction.

If you do get both a 12 volt positive and 12 volt negative reading then everything in front of the motor is good. If you don't get both readings, then you have a switch, module or wire issue.

I am going to try the switch first. or at least try to ohm it out.

That is a good idea. You can see if the switch is properly working first before you replace the motor.

As I said before, Theresa's Pontiac had the problem. the window would go down, but not up. At first I was sure it was the switch. Did a little checking and the switch was working fine. Since there was no voltage used to check the switch when it is removed from the vehicle, an ohm meter worked great to confirm continuity in the switch when switching on and off. I checked the wiring and voltage then to the harness for the motor. Once I confirmed it was getting the proper voltage, the only thing it could be was the motor. Replaced the motor and it has worked great ever since.

Tom

I had to replace my motor assembly some time ago. From a survey i did here, it seems alot of the 2001's had an issue with the electronics in the motor assembly failing. It's relatively easy to change. I suggest ordering from Rusty at Spartan Linc/Merc.

Hey Sal, would you be willing to take some pictures of the actual motor removal and installation (and share them?). I've been working on a project for this, and have most of the instructions done, but haven't gotten around to getting pictures of the motor replacement (OK, OK, I haven't felt like removing a perfectly good motor for the sake of getting a few pics... :rolleyes: )

Got a few pics. but the back was all apart already.

will send them or post.. tell me what you need.

I was thinking of scaning the manual procedures for testing and initalizing if anyone is interested in it

Ok.. followed the procedures in the manual. looks like a bad Motor.

Ordered and will be here for Fri.

let everyone know then.

Ok,

Got the new motor today. and installed. It worked great. Thanks for all the help.

I will be sending the pics to kefguy.

I will also scan the manual pages that I used for T-shooting. In hopes to help out others.

I figured that was the problem. That is the second time I have known a window to work one way and not the other and the cause was a bad motor.

Tom