Reason for terminal failure

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HD RoadKing

Reaction score
Finally found an engine, an 02 with 6000 miles on it. The reason for the failure of my engine at less than 80,000 miles on my 01 job 2, was the 50 cent sized oil strainer on the oil pump having some type of gunk on it, stopped the oil flow and BOOM. Just a heads up, there is an inspection plate you can remove to get to this strainer, and clean it. I changed my oil with Castrol every 3 to 5 thousand miles religously and never pulled anything other than my utility trailer. I should have many good parts left over if anyone needs any. Thanks, Boss

I have an '01, job 2, also. Could you please be a little more specific in your description of that inspection plate/strainer cleaning process? Don't want to have my own, "BOOM," if you know what I mean. Thanks.

I agree, I have an 01, job 2, 4X4, (almost 100 K on it) and I would like to know where this inspection plate is also.

I do have another question relating to oil pressure. On my 01, the oil pressure gague always "Jumps" up as soon as I start the ST. (and i meant it jumps up.. and almost 'vibrates to a stop" when it gets to its center of the dial normal level. It always goes to the same level, and never varies. Now I have had many cars with oil pressure gagues and never had any that stayed this steady, 30 degrees or 110 degrees, always the same spot. Anyone else notice this on their 01? could someone before me have installed a pressure switch instead of a sending unit? Or are the 4.0 engines that well regulated? Thanks Much Everyone!! Dave

Dave,

The reason is because your 'gauge' is nothing more than a glorified reverse idiot light. Meaning, the sending unit is just an on/off switch. If you have enough oil pressure, the gauge jumps to the middle position. Nothing more than that.

Thanks Uncle Bob.. Thats what it appeared to be, and I hate that..

Is this the only way the gauge can function, or is ther an actual sending unit (perhaps from another model) that I could install and it would give me the actual pressure.. I watch my gauges and they can be a good indication of pending problems, such as poor pressure when hot, slower than normal pressure build up, etc.. Thanks again Bob.

Is this the only way the gauge can function, or is ther an actual sending unit (perhaps from another model) that I could install and it would give me the actual pressure.. I watch my gauges and they can be a good indication of pending problems, such as poor pressure when hot, slower than normal pressure build up, etc.. Thanks again Bob.

There was some talk about doing this on some of the F-150 forums. I think it involved installing a new sending unit and clipping a resistor on the back of the IP printed circuit board. I wish I knew the specifics for fixing this on our Tracs-- because I HATE that ford had eliminated a proper oil pressure guage. Now on the '07 Trac, they don't even have the guage--just an idiot light.

The temp gauge and the Amp guages also seem to be heavily damped, since they hardly move at all. I liked the guages in my Dad's old GMC pickup that really MOVED when you rev'ed the engine or drove under different conditions. Also, they had the numerical readouts so you could actually see what the temperature/pressure is, instead of whether or not it is in the "safe zone".

Gavin, you can thank "regular Joe" for the elimination of actual gauges for glorified idiot lights. A good chunk of people, when driving, expect only two gauges to really move, the speedo and tach. Of course the gas gauge moves over time...but they think any other gauge should stay rock solid. Ask anyone who's ever worked in an auto repair place, people come in quite often complaining about normal operations and noises.

O.K. the inspection plate is on the very bottom of the oil pan, about 12 bolts or so. We checked another Trac with just 28,000 miles, 02 model, and it had gum on the strainer as well. His oil has been changed every 3,000 miles with pennzoil 5w30. Spoke with an engine builder for Tuff Racing, he says it is the conventional oil, solve the problem by going to synthetic. I don't know, but please check your strainers, Boss