Recalibrate or not?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Torrez

Reaction score
I talked to my dealer today and he said it would be $75 to do the adjustment/recalibration. I went from a 255 75 r16 to a 285 45 r22. Would it be worth my money to go this route or to get a computer like xcal upgrade and do it myself?

If you would never use the tuner for anything else, then it would be cheaper to just let the dealer do it, and you don't have to worry about voiding any warranty.

If you like to live on the edge, and want other types of tunes, then go for the xcal.

TJR

It is up to you.

We are going to put larger tires on our 2000 Explorer. (from 235/75-15 to 30 x 9.50-15) We are going to get an XCal tuner for it. Not only will it adjust your speedometer, but you will get better mileage, better power and driveability, and most of all, better shifts.

For me, the benefits of the tuner is worth the extra cost.

The question is if it is worth it to you?

Tom

2 Suggestions ...

1) Drive by a speed machine on the side of the road & see how far off your speedometer is. I did this when I switched from 255/70/16's to 265/75/16's, and now it is more accurate !

2) Go to the tire manufacturers web sights and find how many rotations per mile for your 2 tires & check the difference; if its not too much (under 10 percent, as I believe stock is set too high), don't worry about it ... won't affect your performance/calibrations, and not difficult to figure out the gas mileage adjustment.

Just imho ...