Recirculate

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Barlow

Reaction score
Has anyone attempted to add a switch to recirculate or close the outside air vent? If so what does it involve.

MAX/AC does this, but what about replicating this for heat or to stop polluted air from entering the cabin.

I am aware that the air duct closes in the passenger footwell with vacuum, electrical may not be an option.

Thanks,

Ed.

Don't think anyone has done this. Not that I've read here before anyway. I think they are all done by vacuum. (thus the little "ping-pong ball sound when everything gets shut off) Just my guess.;)

I am dying to do this also. I hate not being able to close the vent. There has got to be a way to do it.

We need to brain storm this one.

Saw this in the shop manual dvd:

When MAX A/C is selected:

• the air inlet door vacuum control motor is at full vacuum, closing off outside air and admitting only recirculated air.

When OFF is selected:

• the air inlet door vacuum control motor is at full vacuum, closing off outside air from entering the passenger compartment.

So we have to figure out some how a way to keep the air inlet door closed or be able to open and close it when we want.

The vacuum hose for the air inlet is white and has a blue translucent grommet. Dettaching the hose closes the vent, but leaves the vacuum sound while the engine is running.

I removed the hose and plugged it to test out. Its not adviseble for humid climates (summer) because it creates the mildew.mold smell.

My reason for trying is driving in winter climates you are heating outside air with all its smells and polutents. Cars are running rich, you breathe their fumes and it takes longer to heat your vehicle.

The pros are mentioned above. One real noticeble time was last weekend when it clear and sunny, but 20 degrees outside. The trac was somewhat warm from the greenhouse effect.

Taking the air from inside the truck heated up the Trac quick inside and I could turn back the thermostat.

The negatives of coarse is stale air. This can be remedied with quick push of the rear window and a double tap of thge driver's window switch. Last night my dog "blew us a kiss" from the wrong end and we had to "Surface to vent the hatch." LOL !

My neighbors think I am fixing things on my trac. I tell them I am improving things. My mods. work for me and make the Trac more an expression of me. I value this site, so I advertise it on my rear window.

Ed.

Good info Ed, Thanks!

Where is it going to create the mold/mildew smell? Inside the cab or in the vents?

I kept my vent closed in my '88 Bronco for years and didnt have any smells in the cab.

I do not know for sure about the mildew. I figured humid air would smell, like not drying out the condenser with air only during the summer.

Thanks Ed.

With it being 6 degrees outside this morning, it makes no sense to have a truck with a heater that is constantly heating the cold outside air. Recirculating the warm air makes a lot more sense.

You should create a project out of your mod/info for us "cold weather friends."

Either that, or I have to start putting a piece of cardboard on the grill of the ST like the "real" truck drivers.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
With it bing 6 degrees outside this morning, it makes no sense to have a truck with a heater that is constantly heating the cold outside air. Recirculating the warm air makes a lot more sense.

This will also cause all your windows to fog/freeze up on the inside in really cold temperatures. The fresh air keeps the moisture build-up down. I think that people that always have it on recirculate are the ones driving down the highway with the 'peep holes' wiped in their passenger windows.

I agree Olaf, and Ed assumed moisture build-up would be a problem. Maybe a better system would have mostly-recirculated air, some small amount of outside air, and a dehumidifier. ;)

Maybe a better system would have mostly-recirculated air, some small amount of outside air, and a dehumidifier.

Yup, just take the household HVAC system and place it in the vehicle. :lol:

Fresh air for me all the time! I never use recirculate-- ever.

If the air outside is that bad, it is time to MOVE!

I am the same way, I start feeling motion sick if I don't have fresh air coming in.