Removal of steering wheel... EDIT.. Completed ???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Z

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
I got my new steering wheel from Ford today.

I plan on replacing it, has any one don this on the ST ??

It looks like disconnect the battery, 2 screws holding air bag, some sire clips and the main steering shaft nut??

Am I missing any thing ??

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
i believe you need to disconnect the battery and wait a length of tome for the airbag circuit to become inactive... among other things...

I have a bunch of pictures from we removed ours to install the cruise control. I'll zip them up and email them to you if you'd like.

I took the pictures with the plan of writing up a project...then just never did it.

From what I can recall what Travis told me. You disconnect the battery for I believe 20 minutes. Remove the two bolts.. I'm sure there is more but I can't recall what it was. Hopefully he'll chime in.

According to Ford.

To deplete the backup power supply energy, disconnect the battery ground cable and wait at least one minute. Be sure to disconnect auxiliary batteries and power supplies (if equipped).

Todd, do you have a repair manual for your Trac? Email me.

Tom

I have the battery disconnected since last night and did my own drain on the system...

Kimbro, If I get stuck I will let you know, It looks pretty straight foward....

And there are not too many connections in there any way...

Tom, I have never bought a repair manual, never needed it. I will email ya.

Thanks

Todd Z

Got it done, 15 min start to finish....

Wasn't hard at all...

Thanks !!!!!

Todd Z

Nice to know. My steering wheel is starting to show a lot of wear and not looking to good. How much was your steering wheel?

Tom T I can get the tan one for around $165 and the Grey for $125...

Todd Z

Say Todd,

Does the new steering wheel come complete with cruise control switches?

My wheel is looking pretty sad and has one side CC lights out. Mmmm, if it is complete, maybe kill two birds with one stone? ;)

Uncle Bob

Comes with the cruise switches mounted....

Todd Z

$125 is not a bad deal at all. Especially if it comes with all the switches (plug and play).

Tom, thats my cost, Dealer list is close to 200...

Todd Z

Todd... what are you doing with the old one?

Question is what does the steering wheel look like if you cut off the leather :)

I was thinking of installing one of those wrap it your self type covers or those slip on ones, but it makes the wheel to thick for my liking.

just curious, if your throwing it away, how about cut the wrap off and see? :)

Cruz,

I actually found a company that re does them, They will also put in color matched inserts into the wheel.

I may go that route.

Todd Z