Removing Dealer Sticker from Tailgate?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be careful if you use a heat gun, you can easily damage the paint. A hair drier will work, and it's safer. I left my Trac out in the sun, and the sticker got hot enough to peel off.

I used "GooGone" and finger nail. The "GooGone" smells like an orange and softened up the glue and sticker. Nail did the rest.

Use hair dryer to heat up the sticker a bit. Peel stickers off with your fingernail. Dont worry about excess sticky-stuff residue.

After removing all the stickers, put a little bit of liquid wax on a soft/clean rag and wipe off the sticky-stuff residue.

You wont be able to tell there were ever stickers on your tailgate.

Last edited by a moderator:
The sticker and metal need to be warm before starting, so if it's cold outside you will need to be in a heated garage and use a hair dryer or carefully use a heat gun to warm the sticker and adhesive.

Pick at a corner with your fingernail until you can lift and peel it off.

Many of the various adhesive removers/solvents will work including Goo-Gone, Oops, and even WD-40 works (it's a better solvent than a lubricant).

Once you get the sticker off, you should wash the tailgate to remove any solvent residue. The solvent will also remove the wax so you will need to put on a good coat of your favorite wax.

...Rich

I really dislike when the dealers put that on the vehicles. I luckily didn't have one but I did pull off the their license plate frames and handed them back to them. They were a little shocked I did and I told them, sorry your not paying me to advertise, so you can have them back.

Nip it in the butt at the source. You have a sticker on the back, I won't take delivery. Get rid of the sticker, I buy. Don't get rid of it, you keep it.

It is my money and if the dealer wants it, they play by my rules. Don't like it? I keep my money.

Tom