Removing the stainless steel rivots.... REAR BUMPER

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Ellsworth

Reaction score
Hey all!

I am in the process of removing my rear bumper and I have gotten to the point of the 2 dreaded rivots... is there ANY way to remove them without using a dremmel tool - it looks like it is a screw with a nut on the underside - but the head of the rivot doesn't have a place to put a screwdriver/allan wrench etc etc.

Any thoughts or ideas? I don't want to have to dremmel it off if I don't have too... but if there are no other options then it's coming off that way...

Thanks

JE

Any way to get a drill in there and simply drill them out... How about a set of cutters and cut the rivet head off????

I just read the project... May not be able to drill them, BUT if your carefull enough, you should be able to do it...

Either way the rivvet can not be reused, and you will need to re rivet or use new nuts and bolts to put it back on..

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
I pulled the bumber through the rivet(made the hole slighlty larger) then I used a hack saw, cut the rivets right off with in no time. Rebolt with stainless or one of those plastic push plugs

Last edited by a moderator:
So - I tried to drill it out - but that wasn't going anywhere... I even used the electric drill... but to no avail.... so I said screw it and busted out the Sawzall (my Rotozip was busted so I went for the big boy)... after some violent shaking of the bumper I was able to cut em off...I even tried to use a hack saw but I couldn't get it up there - so the Sawzall worked fine... thanks for the help fellas...

JE