Repair assistance requested / 2003 Kia Sedona

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Ponder

Reaction score
Found a guy with a 2003 Sedona that supposedly had many issues and he just wanted to get rid of it. It is the EX model, 6 disc, leather, moon roof, heated windshield under wipers, basically fully loaded, 140K miles, and a large dent in the passenger sliding door. (Door opens, closes, and seals however)

He said the check engine light was on, and it wouldnt shift into overdrive, and needed a transmission. I pulled codes and got 2, Input shaft Speed Sensor, and Engine coolant over limit, I believe, but I didnt write down the codes. I listened to the engine, and it sounded fine. Fan turned on within 1 minute, and AC was not on or even charged up. I offered him the same as the local salvage yard was going to offer him, and that was $150.00 if he brought it to them. He accepted it, and asked him if it would run good enough to get it on a tow dolly. >> At this point, he said: "Sure and you can drive it home if you want to... It just wont go into overdrive so you have to keep it under 50." So I paid the man, got the title, and never having driven the van, got a buddy to follow me, and drove it home.

Now the rest of the story... On the drive home, (About 8 miles) I found:

1 - It needs a tie rod, and at least one tire that I can tell

2 - The overdrive button was turned off, and it WILL shift into OD just fine. I tested it 3 times, and counted the gears and lockup. (Its a 5 speed automatic)

3 - Temp gauge was reading just below half way mark at normal driving temp, no signs of overheating at all.

4 - The man was a heavy smoker, and the van reeks of cigarettes.

So I decide to investigate the temp issue first, since the cooling fan is turning on full blast, and it is throwing the Coolant temp over limit code. (Cleared and it came back) I am assuming a faulty sending unit. (The one I found has 3 wires, so I think it is dual purpose for gauge and computer to use) I ordered it and replaced it. NOW, the temp gauge starts out at 1/3 the way up, and the gauge works its way up to the hot in only a minute or so. The engine is not overheating, and the hoses are cold, I can touch the sending unit with my finger and it is not hot. With the new sending unit, the fan didnt turn on right away either.

Any thoughts, suggestions, etc?? All I can think of is a bad engine block ground, and will try that this evening when I can work on it again.

Any thoughts on the input shaft speed sensor issue?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
bad thermostat is a possiblity. The big dent in the door may cause a water leak, any wind noise at speed??

Search the web and see if there are any Sedona web sites similar to this one. You might find some answers there.

sounds like you got a deal, if there aren't any other big issues.

Latest posts