Replaced IAC motor... OMG!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 62785

Reaction score
In driving my ST the last month or so I noticed that it was idling rougher and rougher... no stall's mind you but it was definitely idling rough. On a lark I went over to the auto parts store (looking for a replacement speed control deactivation switch but thats another story) and ended up buying a new IAC motor. I disconnected the battery, replaced the IAC motor, reinstalled the battery, and let the truck idle for a while.

All I can truly say now is OMG!! It's like driving a different truck! Well sort of! :p

In any event I figured I'd post this and say THANKS to all that have posted about the process of cleaning IAC motors. The info helped me to complete this minor but noticable repair. :cool:

Rock Auto has them available online for about $50. I think I paid about $65 for it at Auto Zone. Yea it cost more but I was frustrated over the fact that I couldn't find a speed control deactivation switch at any auto parts store in within about 20 miles of my house. Impulse purchases! :eek:

What is the IAC motor?? Just very curious.... I have about a littel over 40K miles on my 2003 Sport Trac. Should I replace mine (whatever it is)...?

It's the actuator for the Idle Air Control valve, which controls the engine's idle speed. It seems to be a weak spot on all Fords, as far as I can tell (and maybe other brands?). Before mine quit the first time, the ST was idling roughly for a couple weeks, until one day it wouldn't idle at all, unless you held the gas pedal down a little. I cleaned & lubed the IAC valve, and everything was fine for about a year. Then without warning, the ST wouldn't start or idle without the pedal held down. I didn't feel like cleaning the IAC every year, so that time, I just replaced the whole thing.

Mike Todd,

There's a project on cleaning it. You'll see from the pics what it is, where it is located, etc... really easy to clean or replace....