Replaced the intake gasket, NOT ST related...though sort of

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Schindler

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
Reaction score
Recently, my wife and I purchased a 2000 Explorer XLT 4x4 with the 4.0L SOHC engine.

We got it for a good price with a clean body, but it needed some work like any used vehicle with 137,000 miles on it would.

One of the items needed worked on was the Lower intake gasket. Well, my brother and I did that along with a new thermostat, plugs, wires, timing chain tensioner, volume reduction plug into the left cylinder head oil galley and New oil galley plug. While I had everything apart, I also replaced the TB spacer and TB gasket. We also cleaned the ISC valve, Throttle body, upper and lower manifold, and the ducts to the intake valves. So far, the engine runs as smooth as glass. We will find out in the morning if that was the fix it needed.

If anyone is willing to tackle that job, it isn't that hard to do. It actually sounds more labor intensive than it actually is. First off, this repair is for the 2001 Job 1 Sport Trac's and earlier Explorer models with the SOHC engine. The 2001 Job 2 and latter is not affected by this problem. No timing chain rattle, no intake gasket leaks, nothing. If you suspect you have a timing chain rattle and you have a 2001 Job 2 or later model, you do not have the timing chain rattle since that model of engine does not have that problem.

Some of the signs you have a lower gasket leak.

Eratic idle and lower then usual. (about 450 RPM)

On a cold start-up, the engine will start right up, idle for about 15 seconds then want to stall.

Loss of power, but will start to act normal after it is at normal operating temperature.

Signs you have the timing chain rattle.

2001 Job 1 Engine only

An engine rattling noise that occurs just after cold engine start up and goes away within a few minutes after the engine is running indicates the need to install a new camshaft chain tensioner.

As I said, it is not as hard as it sounds and it worth the time spent.

Tom

Cool, :cool::cool:

How did the intake look, I know they are also known to crack....

Todd Z

I looked over the intake with a fine toothed comb. I have 20/15 vision and a good eye for cracks since it is my profession.

I could find nothing abnormal on it. It was dirty as heck and took a little scrubbing to clean it up, but it looked good.

Tom

Cool, keep us posted..

Todd Z

The real test coame today. The main problem we had was cold start-up and idle. When it was cold, it would fire right up, then the idle would drop to about 500 RPM. It would then spit and spudder until it would die.

Not this morning. Fired right up and stayed running as smooth as glass. :)

Tom

EDIT: It is only 5 degrees outside too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool Deal, Now you got your self a Nice second vehicle....

Todd Z

After driving it about 60 miles today, I am very peased with the results. Glass smooth idle, better gas mileage, and more power. Worth the time I spent fixing it and the job was not as hard as I expected it to be.

Tom

I need to replace the intake gaskets on my 01 Sport Trac Job 1. I looked and was having a problem trying to figure out how to get it off. I cannot see how to get a wrench on the bolts. HELP !!!! Any guidance would be appreciated. [email protected]