Replacement Engine Questions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandon mena

Reaction score
I've been trying to hunt down an engine for my 01 Job1 for over a year now with no luck. If anyone can help me out with a few questions I would greatly appreciate it.

I have an 01 Job1 4x2 with a manufacture date of 06/00, Vin E.

Most of the engines I find for replacements say the manufacture date is "from 7/24/00" and for some reason they say it will not work on mine. They also say there are slight differences between the 4x4 and 4x2 engines (oil pan shape, internal or external balance shafts, etc.). I was always under the impression that all motors for 1st gens were exactly the same unless either Job 1 or Job 2. Every place I try tells me something different but the last one told me about the differences above between 4x4s and 4x2s after looking it up in the books.

Has anyone replaced their engine? Has anyone with an 01 Job 1 replaced their engine? I'm about to give up and junk it. It's really a shame that she's just wasting away here because of such a ridiculous problem. I'm under the impression that I have to get a motor from another 2001 4x2 manufactured before 7/24/00 with VIN E. That's seeming just about impossible after a year of searching.

I really need help guys, the replacement car I bought when this all happened is already going out on me and I need to get the Trac back on track.:(

From what I have seen and read the block and heads are the same from back in the 90's....

many members have swapped out older engines to new ones..

The reasons for the junk yard issues is the intake on the engine.. But the block should be the same and your good to go..

IF you can get the computer and harness you can upgrade to the newer job 2 motor..

Todd Z

Not sure if you are looking for a complete set up or what, but RockAuto has this...I got an email today offering a 5% discount.

2001 FORD EXPLORER SPORT TRAC 4.0L 245cid V6 FI (E) : Engine : Long Block Price Core Total

MARSHALL Part # F2446C {Remanufactured {For Extended Warranty Information, See Related Parts}}

SOHC, 12-VALVE, 8 BOLT FLYWHEEL, BLOCK# 97JM, 1L2E, HEAD# 97JM-CD, 1L2E, W/O BALANCE SHAFT FOR 4X2 APPLICATIONS. INTAKE GASKET NOT SUPPLIED.

Price $2,420.79 Core $400.00 Total $2,820.79

Think 2001 Explorer. Same engine since your Trac is a 2001 Job 1.

Why are you replacing your engine? Could a long block swap be the better choice?

Tom

I'm replacing the engine because mine blew a head-gasket and pulled in some coolant causing hydro-lock and bent a piston rod. It still runs but I can't drive it, all I need is to throw a rod through the block, ugh.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but if it's going to be too much of a hassle then I might just part her out or something.

I would think the block and heads are the same but he brought up balance shaft and timing chain differences and all this garbage. It's really discouraging, I can't even afford to fix it with a used motor, let alone a rebuild or new motor.

I know if I change cpu's then I need the harness and key for the PATS system. A swap is out of the question right now, too much time and money I don't have. I was just hoping to get the same motor for less than $1,000 from a junker and have a local guy drop it in for

$500. Even that is more than I can handle right now. Sigh...

Brandon, try googling this business on the web. : New York Block exchange ... I bought a used tranny from them back in 2007 for my 2001 Trac and it is still going strong. Hope they are still in business when you go there. Good luck with your search!