Replacing all four shocks

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berf

Reaction score
I'd like to replace all four shocks on my 2008 4wd. Just wondering how difficult a job this is. I'm not looking to change the height or ride, just want to replace them due to mileage and age. Do I need a spring compressor, or can/should I buy shocks with coils as a complete package? Any tips on doing this would be appreciated.

ok, Its dealing with suspensions.. They are struts, Not shocks..... you will need a compressor and huge torque wrench... some bolts are 183 ft lbs... you also must know how to set the truck to ride height to torque everything or you will blow out bushings.....
The Monroe pre packaged struts WILL raise the truck 1 inch. don't know about the cheaper ones.....
Buying the parts, ( Top mount, isolator, strut and bushings) will cost the same as the pre packaged and require more labor changing the spring from old to new. Its a huge question of your mechanical skills, tools ( 24 MM and larger sockets) and what you can handle...

Thanks. I've got the tools and capabilities, just not sure if I want to tackle it or not. I'm wondering if I should just replace all the ball joints where I'm in there.

Those are all Part of the control arms and require a press to press them in now or replacement of the whole control arm. Now you’ll need a wheel alignment too.

I already need an alignment anyway, which is why I'd like to address any and all suspension items first. Sounds like replacing the whole control arm with new bushings too is the way to go. Any other items I should consider replacing? Sway bar links?

If you’re going to be in there taking it apart I would do the upper and lower control arms, would do the sway bar end links and even maybe the front sway bar to frame bushings as they are known for wearing out.

Check inner and outer tie tie rods and wheel bearings also. I found pre packaged struts were easy to do.

Latest posts