Replacing tensioner

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn Klopka

Reaction score
I need to replace the timing chain tensioner in my 1997 explorer 4.0 sohc. (70,000 easy miles)I've read I need a special tool to adjust the timing. My question is...if the timing chain and sprockets are still good can I just replace the tensioner without having to move the timing? I have the tools, the know-how and even the repair manual. I am just a bit confused from reading so many posts from the 2,000,000 other people that had the same problem.

thanx

Glenn,

Tom S (Caymen) posted a nice instructional post on this, For the life of me I cant find it, he detailed the instructions real nice, Hopefully he can re post it here for you...

If not, Email him...

Todd Z

Pull your upper intake manifold. Looking at the engine from the front of the vehicle, the tensioner is located there on the right side at a 45 degree angle.

That is for the left bank (your right when looking from the front or left as sitting in the drivers seat)

The replace the right bank timing tensioner, you must pull the right wheel, pull the skirt and you will see it cranked into the block.

The tensioners anre screwed into the engine and no plates need to be removed to gain access to it.

Tom