Replacing tensioner

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Griffith 2

Reaction score
I have the notorious '01 job 1 timing chain rattle. I want to get this fixed before it becomes a problem. I have not seen a project on this to determine how hard it is.. I'm worried about tinkering with the engine.. How much should this cost to get fixed?? Anybody got a parts and labor estimate from taking it in to a shop? Thanks in advance for any help.

Its pretty hard and labor intensive. I would use the search function and research it a bit as well. But I would look at a Ford Dealer doing the work rather than yourself.

Some members posted an actual copy of their invoice, but its been some time since I've seen one.

If its the tensioner on the top of the engine, very simple to replace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Griff, it is not hard at all.

You need to remove the intake to replace the tensioner. You can actually see it from the outside of the engine. While you have everything apart, you should replace the intake gaskets.

It honestly is not that hard and only takes a few hours to do everything. My brother and I did it during the winter in a garage with cold numb fingers and all hand tools. We could have done it quicker, but during the winter, you just don't feel like doing much of anything.

Tom

Here are some pics.

This first picture shows you the area to look.

[Broken External Image]:

This picture shows my fingers almost touching it.

[Broken External Image]:

This picture shows you what it looks like.

[Broken External Image]:

If I removed the intake ducting, you could get a better angle of it, but I do not want to tear everything apart.

Tom