Replacing wheel studs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_ad.tm

Reaction score
Alright, so I’m trying to replace my wheel studs cause 4 out of 5 broke off and my wheel was hanging on by one…very dangerous. How would I remove these? They broke off right at the top so I have no play to hammer them out. All morning I’ve been hitting it with a punch and hammer and no luck.

Attachments

• 46FA6B34-8924-4674-B0C2-9BC8A54F311E.jpeg
    46FA6B34-8924-4674-B0C2-9BC8A54F311E.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 39
sadly you need to beat the F out of them.... Not oo much you damage the hub or bend it. Or a stud press.

Let me tell you, they were a b**ch getting out! I ended up calling a friend to take me to the store to get a tie rod puller and I used that to push those stubborn studs out. So i appreciate the response!
Now if anyone can tell me how to install them?? There’s no clearance in the back. Do I have to remove the hub itself?

Sometimes you do and sometimes you don’t. What i used to do was grind a flat spot in one side of the head and then it would wiggle in from the backside if you find a clearance spot to make it work.

Also I would put two or three washers on each stud before you drive it in with the lug nut. Also get two or three replacement flat backed Lugnuts to draw it in otherwise you’ll never press them in right.

I appreciate it, I’ll give it a try. The new stud is long and that disk is in the way. I see the divet area where they’re able to come out and go in, it’s just the matter of getting the new stud in there.

Latest posts