Reverse Light Inconvenience

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Lang

Reaction score
It seems that the reverse lights will only come on if the engine is on.

I had the ST in reverse in "Battery" mode, nothing.

Also turned on the headlights, still nothing.

Turned on the engine, finally got the reverse lights.

However, even though the back of the st was pointed uphill, and the ebrake was on, turning the engine on with the ST in Reverse led to the truck surging back, up the hill, a bit before the ebrake was able to contain the beast.

Not good when I wanted the lights to work on something behind the ST.

You can use your headlights whenever you want...why not the reverse lights? I'm sorely tempted to add another path to ground for that.

Turn ignition to run, but don't start it. Place vehicle into "R" and set the e-Brake.

Problem solved.

You can use your headlights whenever you want...why not the reverse lights?

Because reverse lights are used when going into reverse. Headlights are used to light up the area in front of the driver and the driver sits foreward. You would crap a brick if some guy going down the road turned on his back-up lights on in front of you.

Tom

You would crap a brick if some guy going down the road turned on his back-up lights on in front of you

That happened to me once. Lady in a truck stop in front of me. Throws in reverse. I get on the brakes and stop. She backed right into tne front of my van.

Back in the 70's that was a standard "mod" to hook an auxillary switch up to the reverse lights. Was used to "show off" or to get tailgaters off your butt.

Latest posts