Right rear squeak

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorgeMan

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 wheel drive
Reaction score
Greetings fellow Tracers,
I notice when I push down on the right rear bumper side of my 2004 sport trac, there's a squeak noise that you can hear when inside the truck while driving. No noise made pushing on the other three points. Shocks and struts replaced around five years ago. B & C body mount bushings replaced last year ; A&D mounts in great shape. Anyone have any idea what it could be?

Spare tire - crank up tight.
Sway bar/links - replace/grease bushings.
Tailgate - lube joints and latches.
Spring mount bushings - replace/grease.

That's four of the easiest offenders to check into.

Last edited:
Thanks, Blert! More areas to check out and work on! Thanks to all ya'all for your help and advice.

Spare tire - crank up tight.
Sway bar/links - replace/grease bushings.
Tailgate - lube joints and latches.
Spring mount bushings - replace/grease.

That's four of the easiest offenders to check into.
Where are the spring mount bushings located?

i agree with above, spray areas with wd40 or similar one area at a time and hopefully you can isolate it. or use hose to spray it.

Would silicone or white lithium grease work as well?
A penetrant would work good to locate the source. Once located you would use a lube to stop it, which may require disassembly to lube it proper. WD-40 is not a lubricant, it is a penetrant.

Edit: Check the exhaust hangers also, had a little squeak coming from rear-most one a short while back. A couple shots with lube and it went away.

i would think either or would be great, rejuvenate the bushings whether rubber or foam base bushings would soak it up.

I had a right rear sqeek a few years ago. It was the main anti-swaybar bushings, on the axle.
I had already made greasable brackets, when I installed the EE bar. Pumped some grease in. All is well.

Thanks so much for your help. I had a topper put on it in May 2020. I wonder if the added weight is causing the suspension to "speak out"? 🤔😂

i hope you get it figured out and please post your solution, it is nice to here the solutions for future references and curiosity..

Greetings to you all again,
After much examination and white lithium grease and /or silicone spray, I found that I need to replace the rear swaybar bushings. Replacing is a breeze, except for this. How do I find the front and rear swaybar dimensions on my 2004? I find bushings but for various bar sizes and this"front to frame " wording as part of the part description for many of the bushing listings. WTF is that? Any and all help is greatly needed and appreciated!

If it's a stock 2001-05 rear sway bar it's 19mm or 3/4".

One of the best bang for the buck handling upgrades. IIRC, @blert recently used this ES kit with great results. Pressed in metal collars from stock end links must be removed to use ES flange bushings.
https://www.suspension.com/4.5153Just for future reference:
https://www.suspension.com/blog/how-to-measure-a-sway-bar-6-different-ways/
Yep, great kit.

Getting the old bushings and sleeves out of the links is a bear. Have to burn out the rubber and cut/chisle out the sleeve, all while not damaging the link or yourself in the process. Not worth it, IMO, unless you have a press, access to a press, a buddy that has a press, or a machine shop close that will do it for you for a couple bucks/Pepsi. You can get these...
https://www.suspension.com/moog-k80788... and when you need to change the bushings again you won't need to deal with the sleeves. The blue Moog bushings probably won't last very long but should suffice for a while.

1A Auto also has that same part for cheaper. A set of 2 for $55 I think.

Idk about the front, but I replaced the rear and I didn’t even think about the measurement. I have 2” shackles back there, and the part (presumably intended for stock) fit just fine.

Last edited:

Latest posts