Roar Noise/Not Shifting

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob Hayes

V6 Engine
2nd Gen owner
Reaction score
So about a year ago this happened, a roaring noise when I accelerate, and the truck would act like it refused to shift into the next gear. Sometimes, it would get hot. Turns out it was the thermostat housing leaking antifreeze. Replaced it, noise stopped.

6 months later, same thing. Antifreeze low. Found out, the thermostat housing was still leaking! Took it to the same mechanic and they fixed it again, called it warranty work. No bill. (They're good people)

Now, we're a little over a year. The noise happens on occasion, with the resistance to shifting. You can normally wait it out and then go on like it's no big deal. But I'm worried it might be the transmission. No issues on antifreeze, and no overheating this time.

Other thought was IAC? I worked on that on my Ranger years ago, I think you just take it off and shoot it full of carb cleaner right?

.. I think you just take it off and shoot it full of carb cleaner right?

You may want to get in there with a swab or something and then put a bit of quality lube in the shaft, but ya, an easy clean.

Sounds like the Clutch fan is grabbing and revving the engine to move air across the radiator. ( My 2010 4.0 does this )

As for the T-stat housing, you MUST put a thin layer of ultra copper on the bottom gasket before you re install or you will be replacing them over and over.

Todd Z

Latest posts