Roof Rack Removal

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordan Cook

Reaction score
Hey guys i saw a pic of a black one on here without it and liked it alot. Is it hard to remove? Do you have to fill in holes after removing? Thanks

all you have to do is back out the bolts or w/e and your done,

i just put the bolts back to fill in the holes for now

there are i think 2projects to cover up the holes... havent gotten around to doing them as of yet tho.

Go to Kragens, peps, AZ, get some plastic License plate caps and some black RTV

Fit is perfect, mine have been on for yrs.

[Broken External Image]:

All I did is remove the bolts with a torx bit and I washed the areas where the roof racks sat. When everything was nice and clean, I polished the surrounding areas on the roof. I painted the top of the bolts with black touch up paint so they weren't as noticeable and reinstall the bolts into it's original locations. Easy:)

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Silicone on the threads and replace.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

TrainTrac, I havent got around to mine yet. The ones I had ready I put them on my wifes '08 escape. Same rivets as the trac. Actually what I did was ran a #6 metric die on them. You can shave the stem alittle. They are slightly larger than the screw. Sanded the tops so they would take paint. Scewed them in the rivet with rtv on them. They are flat to the the rivet and are the same diameter. This is the only brand I found that were perfect in size. Got them at pep-boys. If I see the wife today I will try to get a pic of hers. We are seperated right now. We are supposed to get together today.

As I said, I have a set for the trac. Just need to finish them. Been kinda lazy in that area, lately.

edit; doorman 701-331, body-tite 45814

I didnt check the rivets on my trac when I put the screws back in. The rivets on my wifes ecscape were closed in the bottom of the thread hole. The only potential I see for a leak is the rubber seal where the rivet meets the roof sheet metal. I did se a trac one day that took the rails off. He did not have the screws in the holes. Either way I fill the holes to protect the threads.

Latest posts