Rough acceleration and check engine light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Tarr

Reaction score
My 2002 ST has started running rough when encountering any incline. The RPMs don't want to go past 2000 without kicking it down into passing gear but, then the check engine light starts flashing and ends up staying on. I have retrieved the codes and they are P0301 and P0316. Has anyone had any experience with this situation? I love my ST but, want it to be fun to drive again. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Jim :(

P0301 is Cylinder 1 misfire, P0316 is engine misfire at startup. It could be your spark plugs going bad, spark plug wires, or coil. May also have a dirty injector, and/or your fuel filter needs to be changed. If you have not changed your fuel filter ever - I would go with that first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try this: Swap the #1 plug wire out with another plug wire (make sure to swap it at both the plug and the coil pack). Start her up, and if the cylinder misfire code shows up at the cylinder upon which you've installed the #1 plug wire, then the wire is faulty.

If that ends up the case, the cheapest fix would be a set of plug wires. Get a new set of wires at your local auto parts store and swap 'em out. If you still have the same problems, then return the wires and get a new coil pack.:banana:

Your profile shows that your ST is a 2002. How many miles do you have on her? I'm betting that your plug wires need replaced...

Thanks for the quick replies. Yes, it's a 2002 and I just passed 120K in miles. To my knowledge, the fuel filter has not been replaced. At least not by me and I have owned the ST since 60K miles. Last year I had an intake gasket put on (lean run) and all was well untill it began misfiring under any load a little while ago. I will begin with a new fuel filter and plug wires....may as well go for the plugs too while I am at it and see what happens. I'll let you know what changes these efforts make. Thanks again.

Jim :)

As the plugs age, the gap increases, requiring more energy to jump the gap. In the ignition system on the trac, the system is powerful to make spark at light load (low dynamic cylinder pressure). When you get into the throttle, more air is sucked into the cylinder and compressed, and increases your dynamic cylinder pressure, and it make it harder for the plug to spark, thus resulting in your miss... HTH

This is why:

re: Overheating Update.. by Todd Z,5/14/2009 16:50 PT

Yes, I like the 860 over the 865 any day It also puts the OEM tensioner back into the factory marks,.,,, the 865 seems to loose from the get go....

Todd Z

Also, Fast Eddie '04 did the same thing, on Todd's recommendation, and liked it alot. The OEM belt is 65" and going to the 60" is amazing what 0.5" can make. If you do a site search on "serpentine belt" you'll fine more good info.

Thanks Rodger, will do a search!

Edit - Looked up the projects, and I understand now. It makes perfect sense. I am at 57K miles on my 05, there has never been chirping or squealing. Should I go ahead and replace in 3K? And How easy it is to replace? Anyone done a project on it? I couldnt find one in the Projects section

How to Change a Serpentine Belt On Your Car : Removing a Serpentine Belt Using Auto Tensioner

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HFP4blveiLI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HFP4blveiLI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This will help too. Found on Ranger Edge Forum. (made some editing for our 4.0L engine)

it's easy... you will only need a wrench...

Make sure that your tensioner isn't bad. It's should be under a good amount of spring force when you turn it to the right. You turn the tensioner by placing the wrench on the bolt head in the middle of the tensioner pully. On the 4.0L, looking at the engine by standing in front of the grill, it will be on the Left side of the fan, about mid way down on the length of the fan, between the fan and the engine....