Rough idle and OBD codes p0102, P6196, p6198

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skippy214

Reaction score
Hello all,
I bought a 2005 2wd ST with 103k miles on it about 2 weeks ago.

Currently experiencing some problems...

Yesterday the truck started losing power and then engine shut-off while driving. No codes were coming up.

This morning the shop said the battery and alternator were good.

It shut off again after leaving the shop.
Now I am getting three codes.

P0102, P6196, p6198.

Truck turns on. Runs well for a minute and then starts having a rough idle and then shuts off.

Any ideas?
Anyone experience similar issues?

Any help is appreciated.

P0102 points to MAF sensor I believe, you should google it to be sure though. Remove it, clean it, put it back and see what happens. Don't start throwing money at it though. If you are not confident in your diagnosis and repair skills then take it to a reputable mechanic and save yourself time, money, and pain.
Free/cheap things to rule out...
- clean the MAF sensor
- clean the throttle body
- clean the IAC
- check the PCV elbow and valve
- check carefully for vacuum leaks (there is a thread in the projects section where I show how to make a DIY smoke machine made of stuff you may have laying around the house)
- if you have the tools you could check fuel pressure and compression

Best of luck.

I appreciate your input. I consider myself somewhat mechanically handy. Long story short, I had it towed after doing my own diagnosis. Glad I did.

I had been meaning to take it to my mechanic to get it checked out anyways. I felt the truck was in pretty good shape to go ahead and buy it, although he really wanted me to bring it by his shop first. So this way he got a chance to check it out and fix my problem. He ended up saying that it was the MAF and he tried cleaning it out and it still didn't work so he replaced it for me. I would have gladly replace something that simple, but he's extremely efficient, so I don't mind throwing him some cash every now and then.

He did advise me to clean up the throttle body. He said there's a bit of a rough idle. I took care of that after picking up the truck and it's running pretty great right now.

I'll check out your bottom two bullet points soon. There is a picture I took inside the engine bay I'm kind of curious about.

There's a hose coming out of the intake right after an MAF that looks kinked. Have you heard of any problems coming from this?

Attachments

• 1004211221a_HDR.jpg
    1004211221a_HDR.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 1004211221_HDR.jpg
    1004211221_HDR.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 63
I believe that is called the breather hose(?) Don't know if it is causing your current issue but it does need to not be kinked. Replace it or reroute it so it is not kinked. You can even delete it by plugging the hole in the intake and attaching a small filter to the end coming out of the engine (it may help keep the throttle body and IAC valve cleaner) but you may not pass state inspection.

Latest posts