Rough idle help!!!!!!!!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been having a problem with my 01 trac 58,000 miles on it I live in wisconsin and now with it getting colder the truck seems to shake a little bit at idle, it was doing it last winter also the RPM guage I can barely catch it moving but it does slightly. In summer I can barely notice it, I did todd's IAC clean with a littel parts cleaner and tri flow, really didn't help still there and now when I switch it from drive to park the RPMs go from the norm 600-700 to 400-500 just started happening after the clean didn't do it before, I didn't go all out cleaning it because I didn't know if it would hurt it if I sprayed the brake clean directly on it . Can anyone help this is REALLY starting to bug me no codes so far ( crossing my fingers).:wacko:

Check the common vacuum elbow ????

Could be a dirty MAF or dirty Throttle body.....

Could be a bad Temp sensor....

Try disconnecting the battery (neg) terminal and reset the computer..

Todd Z

Sweet Todd thanks for the quick posts both Robert and Todd. I will do that tomorrow Todd and get back to the forum to see if it helped. Two other questions Todd first can I spray brake parts cleaner directly in the IAC and is Tri flow ok to use? Also could it be the DPFE if it's not throwing a code. I am going to scan my computer tomorrow just in case I work at an auto parts store such a convienance. ;)

Spraying the IAC directly with rubber safe Parts cleaner is ok... The Superior Lubricant is also ok to lube it as long as it was the Superior Lubricant and not the Superior Dry Lubricant.

The dpfe will throw a code if the computer thinks it is bad, 9 times out of 10 it will.... I am not a fan of just changing parts before diagnosing it correctly.... But if you have the $40.00 bucks and the 5 min to change it you could if it is the original one, But i think it is something else...

Todd Z

Well todd Z I did all of these things and and it seems to not have helped. I'm kinda stumped I don't know what else it could be. My 99 ranger kinda did the same thing but all the time hot weather or cold, and that ended up being a head gasket, but my trac only does it when it is colder outside . My Ranger also smelt like antifreeze and I was loosing it also. My anti freeze hasn't went down sense I got the trac in January I hope to god that isn't my problem (knocking on wood). Any other suggestions?

IMCAM',

Yes... Other Suggestions!

You have an'01 with 58,000 actual miles?!?!

If this is true, you need a COMPLETE mainteniance tune-up, including plugs, wires,

air filter, fuel filter, and oh my GOSH!, so many other things!

Any, or a combination of ALL of the above items could cause the problems you are experiencing.

Low mileage does not negate the need for a complete tune-up, as items can wear, or

deteriorate due to age, and not just mileage!

Glad for you, that your 'Trac has EXTREMELY low mileage for the year, but if there is

any thing worse than "Driving The Hell" out of a vehicle, it is letting it sit, or remain idle,

for extended periods of time.

I say this with respect, and sincere honesty!

You need to check into a complete maintenaince schedule for your 'Trac!

:rolleyes:

OK I have done evrything in the past half a year except plugs and wires. I did take the plugs out and look at them like a month after I bought them and they looked brand new but they were bosch platinum I work at checker auto part and I here SOOOO many complaint sabout them that will be my next thing when I get a few extra bucks. Trying to save all I can I'm getting married in less than a year. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!